Nick B

Default Excel 2002 Add-in: Open Database Connectivity available for Excel

Does anyone know if you can get the Excel Open Database Connectivity for
Excel 2003? We are trying to use the sql.request function in Excel 2003 and
it is not installed (returns #NAME?). In the Excel help it says "If this
function is not available, you must install the Microsoft Excel ODBC add-in
program (XLODBC.XLA). You can install the add-in from the Microsoft Office
Web site.". I went online and found it for Excel 2002, which I promptly
downloaded and tried to install and it installed on one computer (not a clean
machine - has Office 2000 and 2003 (but it does have Project 2002, but not
Office 2002), but it will not install on the other machines saying "Microsoft
Office XP or Excel 2002 not found." Am I missing it online?
Jim Rech

It doesn't look as if MS released a version that installs with Excel 2003.

If you are comfortable with the registry editor (RegEdit.exe from
Start-Run) you can easily fool the installer to think you have Excel 2002
installed.

First create the path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\ Common\InstallRoot

Then create a new String entry under InstallRoot named Path. The value of
Path should be the path to your Office 2003 installation, e.g. C:\Microsoft
Office\Office11\

--
Jim
"Nick B" wrote in message
| Does anyone know if you can get the Excel Open Database Connectivity for
| Excel 2003? We are trying to use the sql.request function in Excel 2003
and
| it is not installed (returns #NAME?). In the Excel help it says "If this
| function is not available, you must install the Microsoft Excel ODBC
add-in
| program (XLODBC.XLA). You can install the add-in from the Microsoft Office
| Web site.". I went online and found it for Excel 2002, which I promptly
| downloaded and tried to install and it installed on one computer (not a
clean
| machine - has Office 2000 and 2003 (but it does have Project 2002, but not
| Office 2002), but it will not install on the other machines saying
"Microsoft
| Office XP or Excel 2002 not found." Am I missing it online?

Nick B

Thanks!

"Nick B" wrote in message
| Does anyone know if you can get the Excel Open Database Connectivity for
| Excel 2003? We are trying to use the sql.request function in Excel 2003
and
| it is not installed (returns #NAME?). In the Excel help it says "If this
| function is not available, you must install the Microsoft Excel ODBC
add-in
| program (XLODBC.XLA). You can install the add-in from the Microsoft Office
| Web site.". I went online and found it for Excel 2002, which I promptly
| downloaded and tried to install and it installed on one computer (not a
clean
| machine - has Office 2000 and 2003 (but it does have Project 2002, but not
| Office 2002), but it will not install on the other machines saying
"Microsoft
| Office XP or Excel 2002 not found." Am I missing it online?

Myrna Larson

The information on the web site from which you downloaded it says that it
contains the SQL.REQUEST function. Presumably, after you've installed the
add-in, you can get help on that function.

"Nick B" wrote:

Does anyone know if you can get the Excel Open Database Connectivity for
Excel 2003? We are trying to use the sql.request function in Excel 2003 and
it is not installed (returns #NAME?). In the Excel help it says "If this
function is not available, you must install the Microsoft Excel ODBC add-in
program (XLODBC.XLA). You can install the add-in from the Microsoft Office
Web site.". I went online and found it for Excel 2002, which I promptly
downloaded and tried to install and it installed on one computer (not a

clean
machine - has Office 2000 and 2003 (but it does have Project 2002, but not
Office 2002), but it will not install on the other machines saying

"Microsoft
Office XP or Excel 2002 not found." Am I missing it online?

Giuseppe

Simple try as follow:

(1) Download from microsoft update the Archive XLODBC.EXE
(2) Extract it to a folder (Among the files there should be one named
XLODBC.XLA)
(3) Open Excel 2003, go to Tool-Add-in and click to search
(4) Find XLODBC.XLA
(5) Over

"Nick B" wrote:

Does anyone know if you can get the Excel Open Database Connectivity for
Excel 2003? We are trying to use the sql.request function in Excel 2003 and
it is not installed (returns #NAME?). In the Excel help it says "If this
function is not available, you must install the Microsoft Excel ODBC add-in
program (XLODBC.XLA). You can install the add-in from the Microsoft Office
Web site.". I went online and found it for Excel 2002, which I promptly
downloaded and tried to install and it installed on one computer (not a clean
machine - has Office 2000 and 2003 (but it does have Project 2002, but not
Office 2002), but it will not install on the other machines saying "Microsoft
Office XP or Excel 2002 not found." Am I missing it online?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Flek

Default Excel 2002 Add-in: Open Database Connectivity available for Ex

I've tried editing the registry (installation completed successfully) but
when I enter the SQL.REQUEST function in a cell in an excel worksheet,
nothing happens; no processing. It's as though I've entered text. Does any
know the EXACT syntax for this command for the connection string, query_text,
etc.? Thanks

"Nick B" wrote in message
| Does anyone know if you can get the Excel Open Database Connectivity for
| Excel 2003? We are trying to use the sql.request function in Excel 2003
and
| it is not installed (returns #NAME?). In the Excel help it says "If this
| function is not available, you must install the Microsoft Excel ODBC
add-in
| program (XLODBC.XLA). You can install the add-in from the Microsoft Office
| Web site.". I went online and found it for Excel 2002, which I promptly
| downloaded and tried to install and it installed on one computer (not a
clean
| machine - has Office 2000 and 2003 (but it does have Project 2002, but not
| Office 2002), but it will not install on the other machines saying
"Microsoft
| Office XP or Excel 2002 not found." Am I missing it online?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I could not do this on my computer. When I do the download to my Temp folder,
it is already open to the .exe and there is no need to unzip it. I have even
tried sending the .exe to a zipped folder, and then have tried to unzip it,
only to see that the .exe file is the only thing that comes out of it. How
can you extract it to a folder when everything is already extracted?