Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Totalling the same cell across multiple workbooks

I have a template that contains cells for number of hours worked in
several rows and columns. I have many copies of this workbook, one for
each employee. I would like to be able to add the cell C3 (for example)
across all of the workbooks that I select...basically merging them all.
Is there an easy way to do this. I spent an hour searching this forum
using different keywords and haven't found a solution yet. Thanks in
advance for any help you can give.

Jeff Wilson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Would simply creating a formula work for you.

=C3(in JohnSmith.xls) +C3(...)+ ... + etc....

This would create links to all of your workbooks if stored in the same
place.

Need a bit more detail to get any smarter on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=sum(firstsheet:lastsheet!c3)
To do the same for "selected" would require a macro

Sub sumselectedsheets()
On Error Resume Next
For Each sh In Windows(1).SelectedSheets
ms = ms + sh.Range("c3")
Next
MsgBox ms

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a template that contains cells for number of hours worked in
several rows and columns. I have many copies of this workbook, one for
each employee. I would like to be able to add the cell C3 (for example)
across all of the workbooks that I select...basically merging them all.
Is there an easy way to do this. I spent an hour searching this forum
using different keywords and haven't found a solution yet. Thanks in
advance for any help you can give.

Jeff Wilson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This would work, so thank you. But I was hoping to not have to
hardcode in all of the file names. I was hoping to open a bunch and
then run a macro that adds up the cells from all open workbooks. Do you
think that is possible?

Thanks again for the input...

Jeff

somethinglikeant wrote:
Would simply creating a formula work for you.

=C3(in JohnSmith.xls) +C3(...)+ ... + etc....

This would create links to all of your workbooks if stored in the same
place.

Need a bit more detail to get any smarter on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This isn't exactly what you want, but might be better than what you asked:

consodidate workbooks
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

Tom Ogilvy

ups.com...

Don Guillett wrote:
=sum(firstsheet:lastsheet!c3)
To do the same for "selected" would require a macro

Sub sumselectedsheets()
On Error Resume Next
For Each sh In Windows(1).SelectedSheets
ms = ms + sh.Range("c3")
Next
MsgBox ms

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a template that contains cells for number of hours worked in
several rows and columns. I have many copies of this workbook, one for
each employee. I would like to be able to add the cell C3 (for example)
across all of the workbooks that I select...basically merging them all.
Is there an easy way to do this. I spent an hour searching this forum
using different keywords and haven't found a solution yet. Thanks in
advance for any help you can give.

Jeff Wilson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Also look at Data=Consolidate

Tom Ogilvy

ups.com...

Don Guillett wrote:
=sum(firstsheet:lastsheet!c3)
To do the same for "selected" would require a macro

Sub sumselectedsheets()
On Error Resume Next
For Each sh In Windows(1).SelectedSheets
ms = ms + sh.Range("c3")
Next
MsgBox ms

Don Guillett