Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

Default Excel save time

I have a 3MB file with lots of macros. I've created the file and use it more
frequently than other users. When I save it takes approximately 1.5-2
minutes. I was helping another user and noticed that when she saved it took
about 5 seconds.

What causes this? And is there a way I can fix this?

All users are using Windows XP pro and Excell 2003 SP2.

Thanks,

--
JNW
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hi JNW -

We'd have to explore your workbook contents to be certain what it causing
the problem, so we're just guessing at this stage. Some things to consider

1. If your macros are functions, automatic recalculation that fires during a
save might be causing the problem (if your function macros do a lot of
toiling with large amounts of data for example. Try <Tools, Options,
CalculationTab..., set calculation to manual and uncheck [Recalculate
before save]. If this fixes the problem, you have a slow macro for unknown
reasons (possibly dependent upon data in your workbook that is different from
others).

2. Another issue might be some accidental entries below and to the right of
your used ranges on each worksheet. With the symptom you describe, it's
generally a good idea to delete blank rows and columns to the right and below
to make sure there are no monsters hidden there. Do this for every sheet in
the workbook prior to saving it. Starting one or two columns to the right of
your right-most data on a sheet, select all "blank" columns out to column
"IV" and choose <Edit Delete to physically remove the columns (don't just
use the delete key or Edit Clear All). Do the same for all rows below your
data down to row 65,536.

3. If you happen to be working on a local copy and choose to save to a
server from Excel for some reason, make sure you don't have an older, slower
connection speed (10MBps is generally adequate, but 100MBps is better).

There could be other reasons, too, but rule these out first.

--
Jay