Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default why does excel ask if I want to save every time?

Whenever I close an excel 2007 s/s - even if I haven't changed anything
- it asks me if I want to save it. This is driving me nuts!! Anyone
know how I can overcome this problem?
Big thanks.
Colwyn.

--
colwyn
colwyn's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=34

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the workbook you opened was created in an earlier version of Excel you
will get the "save changes" message.

Save as 2007 version.

You will also get the message if you have used any volatile function(s) in
your workbook.

Could be a NOW() or TODAY()

List of volatile functions........

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

Any one or more of these would cause the workbook changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:23:46 +0000, colwyn
wrote:

Whenever I close an excel 2007 s/s - even if I haven't changed anything
- it asks me if I want to save it. This is driving me nuts!! Anyone
know how I can overcome this problem?
Big thanks.
Colwyn.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you working with a file created in Excel 2007 (will have XLS extenstion)?

If yes, then save it as an Excel file (XLSX extension) and your 'problem'
will go away.
Excel 2007 has to convert the XLS file to its native format hence the file
is marked as changed which promots the Save dialog.

"colwyn" wrote:

Whenever I close an excel 2007 s/s - even if I haven't changed anything
- it asks me if I want to save it. This is driving me nuts!! Anyone
know how I can overcome this problem?
Big thanks.
Colwyn.

--
colwyn
colwyn's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=54988

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks guys but the problem persists.
Sheeloo, yes it was created in Excel 2007 and it has xlsm extension.

Gord Dibben, there are none of those "volatile functions" within the
s/s.

There are formulas which reference 2003 s/s workbooks. Would this be
why I'm being asked to save unchanged Excel 2007 workbooks?
Is there any way I can prevent this?
Big thanks.
Colwyn.

--
colwyn
colwyn's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=54988

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

colwyn wrote:
Thanks guys but the problem persists.
Sheeloo, yes it was created in Excel 2007 and it has xlsm extension.

Gord Dibben, there are none of those "volatile functions" within the
s/s.

There are formulas which reference 2003 s/s workbooks. Would this be
why I'm being asked to save unchanged Excel 2007 workbooks?
Is there any way I can prevent this?
Big thanks.
Colwyn.

An xlsm file has embedded macros. Perhaps the macro is changing
something to cause the "save as" prompt.

Otherwise, the Esc key should dismiss the save dialog box easily. Don't
sweat the small stuff!

Bill