Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Each time I close an Excel file, it asks if I want to save.

This is really bizarre. On a specific spreadsheet that I work on every month
and do save as to put in a different directory, starting 2 months ago, every
time I open it, when I close it I am prompted "Do you want to save the
changes you made to...?" I know that if it contains certain formulae [i.e.
=now()], or if there are external links, this can be a problem. However,
I've looked through for something of that sort and can find nothing. Not the
end of the world, but irritating, especially if I can't remember if I've made
changes, or worse, if I've made changes but don't want them saved. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Les Les is offline

Two items spring to mind. First, although it seems unlikely from your post,
are there any macros that run when you open the workbook, like to add buttons
to the meny bar? Second, have you upgraded Excel in the last few months? it
is possible that you are opening a workbook created in an earlier version of
Excel, which would then recalculate all formulas. Try saving it as the latest
version and see if this resolves your issue.
--
Les Torchia-Wells

"Doug Bell" wrote:

This is really bizarre. On a specific spreadsheet that I work on every month
and do save as to put in a different directory, starting 2 months ago, every
time I open it, when I close it I am prompted "Do you want to save the
changes you made to...?" I know that if it contains certain formulae [i.e.
=now()], or if there are external links, this can be a problem. However,
I've looked through for something of that sort and can find nothing. Not the
end of the world, but irritating, especially if I can't remember if I've made
changes, or worse, if I've made changes but don't want them saved. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Les, but neither of those issues pertain. That is what is so
strange. I'm assuming there is some formula that is dependent on time, such
as the =now() function, but I sure can't find it. As I said, it's just very
irritating.

"Doug Bell" wrote:

This is really bizarre. On a specific spreadsheet that I work on every month
and do save as to put in a different directory, starting 2 months ago, every
time I open it, when I close it I am prompted "Do you want to save the
changes you made to...?" I know that if it contains certain formulae [i.e.
=now()], or if there are external links, this can be a problem. However,
I've looked through for something of that sort and can find nothing. Not the
end of the world, but irritating, especially if I can't remember if I've made
changes, or worse, if I've made changes but don't want them saved. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Doug

There are volatile functions other than those dealing with time or date.

List of volatile functions........

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

Any one or more of these would cause the workbook changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP