Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dino Hsu

Default why excel 2003 always asks to save or not

When I open, see, and close an .xls file, excel 2003 always asks
whether to save. Why is this annoying message? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi

When you open the sheet, if you have any of the volatile functions on
the sheet like TODAY(), NOW(), INDIRECT(), OFFSET() etc. and your
default calculation mode is set to Automatic, Excel has to recalculate
these. The values, other than NOW(), may well not change, but the
internal flag in Excel will have been set to say that a recalculation
has taken place since the last time the file was saved, hence it comes
up with the message.

If you know you have not made any changes, then you can answer No to the
prompt.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dino Hsu" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I open, see, and close an .xls file, excel 2003 always asks
whether to save. Why is this annoying message? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dino Hsu

I have done more test and I believe my situation is not like what you
say.
All .xls files but not those with specific functions, have this
message, even a newly added .xls file which contains nothing shows this
message.
I tried to switch calcuation mode from auto to manual, it persists.