Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default named range in conditional formatting

Dave Peterson generously gave me this conditional formatting statement
to toggle greenbar on and off based on content of $A$1 and it works
great.

=AND($A$1<"",MOD(ROW(),2)=1)

I would like to know if it is possible, and if so, where in the
statement do I put it, to add a named range to this statement so it
will work on only the rows and columns I want it to work on. I tried
highlighting the area I want to shade, then doing the conditional
formatting, but then only row 1 of the spreadsheet gets shaded. I need
to name ranges so that only the rows of numerics get greenbarred, and
none of the header rows and/or comment rows get colored.

Any help you can give will sure be appreciated.

Thank You
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

there is no reason the formula you show can't be applied to subsets of the
worksheet and continue to work. So only apply it to the areas you want to
have the greenbars. I just selected D5:I25, did Format=conditional
formatting, selected Formula is, pasted in your formula, selected green for
the pattern and it worked fine.

Tom Ogilvy

"Joanne" wrote in message
Dave Peterson generously gave me this conditional formatting statement
to toggle greenbar on and off based on content of $A$1 and it works
great.

=AND($A$1<"",MOD(ROW(),2)=1)

I would like to know if it is possible, and if so, where in the
statement do I put it, to add a named range to this statement so it
will work on only the rows and columns I want it to work on. I tried
highlighting the area I want to shade, then doing the conditional
formatting, but then only row 1 of the spreadsheet gets shaded. I need
to name ranges so that only the rows of numerics get greenbarred, and
none of the header rows and/or comment rows get colored.

Any help you can give will sure be appreciated.

Thank You
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You guys are right again, of course ;-). Good grief, what would I do
without the likes of you MVPs.

I tried highlighting a range and then applying the conditional
formatting but all I got was the greenbar on the first row - clearly I
was doing something wrong. Anyway now all is good and I have learned
much more about Excel VBA than just how to do greenbar from this
little exercise, especially learning about conditional formatting. I
am sure I will find more reasons to use this feature in the future.
(And if you can say that 10 times fast, you are doing great on this
dark and gloomy early Tues morn.) Have a good day all.

Thanks a bunch guys
Joanne