Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RANK

I am currently using the rank function to highlight the best performers.
I am then trying to create a league table on a seperate sheet. I have a
list of 1-20 in column A and are then using VLOOKUP to result the person who
is ranked that number.

The problem I am haveing is when 2 people are ranked say 3 it obviously
finds the first result of 3 and then results N/A against 4.

Is there anyway I can put the same ranked people into say alphabetical order
and each person to then be ranked in accordence (if you understand what i
mean)

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way is to use the RANK formula to give unique ranks. This breaks ties
on position, but if your names are already sorted alphabetically, then that
should match what you ask for.

entered in C21, then drag filled down the column.

=RANK(B21,$B$21:$B$26)+COUNTIF($B$21:B21,B21)-1

Tom Ogilvy