rob normerica

Default Rank items, select one start date, have remaining dates follow based on rank

I have a list of projects. I have one start date. Each project has a
varying amount of time to complete. I want the user to rank the
projects based on importance (example when it will ship) and then,
based on the individual times required to complete the rest of the
projects, excel will automatically generate start and complete dates
for the remaining projects. Need to know how to do this.

--
rob normerica
rob normerica's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26316

Debra Dalgleish

Assuming your rankings are in cells B2:B6, and start date is in a cell
named StartDate, enter the following formula in row 2, and copy down to
row 6:

=StartDate+SUMPRODUCT(--($C$2:$C$6<C2),--($B$2:$B$6))

Or, if you have the Analysis Toolpak installed, and want to use workdays
only:

=WORKDAY(StartDate,SUMPRODUCT(--($C$2:$C$6<C2),--($B$2:$B$6)))

rob normerica wrote:
I have a list of projects. I have one start date. Each project has a
varying amount of time to complete. I want the user to rank the
projects based on importance (example when it will ship) and then,
based on the individual times required to complete the rest of the
projects, excel will automatically generate start and complete dates
for the remaining projects. Need to know how to do this.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html