Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Weird problem with Excel 2000...Worksheets disappearing in a shared Excel file

Hello All,

This is my first time posting in any Usernet group. We have an issue
at work where multiple worksheets would disappear in a shared Excel
file randomly. We are running Excel 2000 with about 10 users accessing

and update these four shared spreadsheets. Every few days or so, I
would get users complaining that two worksheets have disappeared. I
checked to make sure that they are not hidden and also they are unable
to delete the worksheets since we password-protected it. People would
have to unprotect the worksheet, then unshare it before they can
actually delete the worksheet.

Do you know if this is a bug in Excel 2000 or if there a fix for this?
We are running Office Service Pack 3. I searched all over Google and
others have experienced this problem, but have never found a resolution

to this.

Thanks for all your help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Weird problem with Excel 2000...Worksheets disappearing in a share

Back when I was in the cubicle farms, we had similar problems. Here are a
couple of conditions that may cause a worksheet to disappear:

1. A person cleaning up files inadvertantly deletes the shared file.
2. A person browsing the server files changes the name of the file because
it conflicts with their file name or they believe it is a duplicate of their
file.

Sometimes the files can be found by searching with Windows Explorer and
sometimes they are gone forever as you originally knew them.

"BrianL_SF" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am also having this problem with a user. One sheet of her workbook just
disappeared. We are running Office 2003 with all avaliable updates. Only two
people have access to the workbook, which resides on our Win2000 file server.
Our workstations are XP with all avaliable updates.
--
Matt L.

"BrianL_SF" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Matt,

I am presuming that our workbook has VBA code. The developer has the option
to make the sheet very hidden. When that happens you do not see the sheet and
you do not see it in the list of hidden sheets as well.
The only way to get back the sheet is to know the name of the sheet and
issue the following command from the Immediate window.
worksheets("NameOfTheHiddenSheet").visible=true

"BrianL_SF" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am not aware of any VBA code. The worksheet seems to have very basic
formulas only. I'll ask the user and see if she knows more about Excel than I
think. I am sure she knows the name of the missing sheet, so this might fix
it, even if it was put in place by accident.
--
Matt L.

"BrianL_SF" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi All,

Just to clarify, I meant worksheets are disappearing from the workbook
(.xls) file. Not the actual .xls file that is being deleted. By
"sharing", I meant that it is being shared within the Excel application

where multiple users can update the data, not network file sharing.

The worksheets are somehow disappearing at random times...the people
who accesses the spreadsheet are unable to delete any worksheets
because we password protected them within the Excel application. In
order for anyone to delete a worksheet within a shared Excel file, they

would first have to know the password to unprotect the worksheet, then
they would have to unshare the worksheet, then they can delete the
worksheet. It's impossible for them to delete the worksheet, but
somehow the worksheets are disappearing. There's no VB codes, just
basic formulas. The file size is about 4 to 5 megs and maybe around 7
to 10 worksheets within each Excel file (workbook).

Thanks for your help and time.
Brian.