Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macros sometimes automatically disabled

My macro security setting is at "Medium" so I should get the macro
enable/disable box. I have a set of workbooks that contain macros -
sometimes when I open them everything goes as it should and the
enable/disable box appears. The other times the enable/disable box
does not appear and the macros are automatically disabled.

Coworkers use these spreadsheets also and nobody has this problem but
me! I tried changing my security setting to Low to see if they would
always be enabled but somehow our company doesn't allow that - I switch
it to low and when I go back to the settings it is back at Medium.

Using excel 2003 SP2 with XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Macro security settings are generally workstation specific, not workbook
specific. It is unlikely that a workbook is manipulating these settings.
Check out this page, specifically try altering your registry setting (if
you're comfortable doing so) and see if it helps.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...362661033.aspx

Bill

"olson" wrote:

My macro security setting is at "Medium" so I should get the macro
enable/disable box. I have a set of workbooks that contain macros -
sometimes when I open them everything goes as it should and the
enable/disable box appears. The other times the enable/disable box
does not appear and the macros are automatically disabled.

Coworkers use these spreadsheets also and nobody has this problem but
me! I tried changing my security setting to Low to see if they would
always be enabled but somehow our company doesn't allow that - I switch
it to low and when I go back to the settings it is back at Medium.

Using excel 2003 SP2 with XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bill Pfister wrote:
Macro security settings are generally workstation specific, not workbook
specific. It is unlikely that a workbook is manipulating these settings.
Check out this page, specifically try altering your registry setting (if
you're comfortable doing so) and see if it helps.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...362661033.aspx

Bill

Not allowed to touch the registry. I don't really care about the
security settings - just added that to indicate that I had attempted to
get the enable/disable screen to disappear to see if that fixed the
problem.

Any other ideas what might be causing this problem or how to fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Olson, I've never seen an instance where the Enable/Disable dialog doesn't
show if the Security setting is medium. Does it occur consistently to the
same file(s)?

I'm assuming that you are manually opening the file as opposed to files
being opened programmatically...?

"olson" wrote:

Bill Pfister wrote:
Macro security settings are generally workstation specific, not workbook
specific. It is unlikely that a workbook is manipulating these settings.
Check out this page, specifically try altering your registry setting (if
you're comfortable doing so) and see if it helps.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...362661033.aspx

Bill

Not allowed to touch the registry. I don't really care about the
security settings - just added that to indicate that I had attempted to
get the enable/disable screen to disappear to see if that fixed the
problem.

Any other ideas what might be causing this problem or how to fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bill Pfister wrote:
Olson, I've never seen an instance where the Enable/Disable dialog doesn't
show if the Security setting is medium. Does it occur consistently to the
same file(s)?

I'm assuming that you are manually opening the file as opposed to files
being opened programmatically...?

Yes it is consistent with the same files (for me but not any other
coworkers opening the same files from the same network drive). I am
manually opening the files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you know if there are any automatic macros running in the workbook?

If you'd like, you can send one of the workbooks to me
) and I'll see if I can find anything
obviously wrong with it.