Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that column?
Without VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HotRod

Check out the COUNTIF Function, something like...

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,A1)

This will count the occurrences in A1:A100 of the data in A1 and of course
A2, 3, etc as you copy it down

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"HotRod" wrote in message
I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that
column? Without VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,1) will count the number of times 1 occurs in the range

BTW the EXCEL.MISC or EXCEL.WORKFUNCTIONS newsgroup would have been more
appropriate for a non-programming question

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"HotRod" wrote in message
I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that
column? Without VBA?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

THANKS, I was hoping for more of a filtering type answer as the users aren't
even this advanced.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

If you wanted to use filtering, then assuming your Data is column A,
with a heading in A1 called Data, and your values in cells A2:A100.
Insert a new row above your header row and enter in cell A1
=SUBTOTAL3(A3:A100)
Place cursor in cell A2 and DataFilterAutofilter
Use the dropdown to select the number required, and cell A1 will display
a count of the visible rows of data containing that number.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"HotRod" wrote in message
THANKS, I was hoping for more of a filtering type answer as the users
aren't even this advanced.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

THANKS that ma be easy enough for them to follow.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do it Pivot, it's simply way to do it!