-   -   Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/374165-excel-sum-total-not-programming.html)

HotRod

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that column?
Without VBA?

Nick Hodge

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

HotRod

Check out the COUNTIF Function, something like...

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,A1)

This will count the occurrences in A1:A100 of the data in A1 and of course
A2, 3, etc as you copy it down

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"HotRod" wrote in message
I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that
column? Without VBA?

Bernard Liengme

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,1) will count the number of times 1 occurs in the range

BTW the EXCEL.MISC or EXCEL.WORKFUNCTIONS newsgroup would have been more
appropriate for a non-programming question

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"HotRod" wrote in message
I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that
column? Without VBA?

Bob Phillips

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

=COUNTIF(A:A,1)

etc.
--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"HotRod" wrote in message
I was asked by an excel user today and don't know the answer is this
possible? What would I google?

I have a column like.

1
1
1
1
2
2
2
3
3

How can I have excel how many times the #1, #2 and #3 appear in that

column?
Without VBA?

HotRod

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

THANKS, I was hoping for more of a filtering type answer as the users aren't
even this advanced.

Roger Govier

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

Hi

If you wanted to use filtering, then assuming your Data is column A,
with a heading in A1 called Data, and your values in cells A2:A100.
Insert a new row above your header row and enter in cell A1
=SUBTOTAL3(A3:A100)
Place cursor in cell A2 and DataFilterAutofilter
Use the dropdown to select the number required, and cell A1 will display
a count of the visible rows of data containing that number.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"HotRod" wrote in message
THANKS, I was hoping for more of a filtering type answer as the users
aren't even this advanced.

HotRod

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

THANKS that ma be easy enough for them to follow.

Kari J Keinonen

Excel SUM TOTAL (Not Programming)

Do it Pivot, it's simply way to do it!