Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Add-Ins without VSTO

I'm using Dyalog APL, a .Net language which is strong on numerical analysis
of multi-dimensional array. The product only supports "loose" integration
with VS - so I don't believe VSTO is an option for me. I'm looking for
documentation on types of add-ins that I will be able to write for Excel
using this kind of tool. I'm hoping that "all I need to do" is generate an
assembly containing a class which either derives from a suitable "add in"
base class or supports some relevant interfaces.

If this is possible, can anyone point me at documentation which describes
how to do this (which classes/interfaces), ideally with some examples?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

These NGs may be more appropriate :
microsoft.public.excel.interopoledde
microsoft.public.excel.sdk

NickHK

"CybearInsight" wrote in message
I'm using Dyalog APL, a .Net language which is strong on numerical

analysis
of multi-dimensional array. The product only supports "loose" integration
with VS - so I don't believe VSTO is an option for me. I'm looking for
documentation on types of add-ins that I will be able to write for Excel
using this kind of tool. I'm hoping that "all I need to do" is generate an
assembly containing a class which either derives from a suitable "add in"
base class or supports some relevant interfaces.

If this is possible, can anyone point me at documentation which describes
how to do this (which classes/interfaces), ideally with some examples?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

The Excel Addin is a COM based technology.
Any COM supported language can implement the Addin interface, so we can use
VB/VC/C# ..... to generate an Excel COM Addin.

But as for Dyalog APL, I did not know that before, so I am not sure if it
is a COM Ready programming.

So in addition to Nick's suggestion, you may also consult the Dyalog APL
related resource.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Peter Huang

Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks,

Dyalog APL is COM "Ready" (if that is the right word in 2006), but I was
hoping to use .NET. I see that I forgot to mention that I am targeting Excel
2007. Surely(!?) Office 2007 has a (several?) .NET based mechanism(s) for
implementing extensions?

Morten

""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:

Hi,

The Excel Addin is a COM based technology.
Any COM supported language can implement the Addin interface, so we can use
VB/VC/C# ..... to generate an Excel COM Addin.

But as for Dyalog APL, I did not know that before, so I am not sure if it
is a COM Ready programming.

So in addition to Nick's suggestion, you may also consult the Dyalog APL
related resource.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Peter Huang

Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nothing I have read about Office 2007 indicates that MS is moving it towards
the .Net side ; only VBA internally supported, with COM.
But it seems MS are providing more tools/means to work with Office app from
the .Net languages, although that is nothing to do Office per se.

""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:

Hi,

The Excel Addin is a COM based technology.
Any COM supported language can implement the Addin interface, so we can

use
VB/VC/C# ..... to generate an Excel COM Addin.

But as for Dyalog APL, I did not know that before, so I am not sure if

it
is a COM Ready programming.

So in addition to Nick's suggestion, you may also consult the Dyalog APL
related resource.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Peter Huang

Microsoft Online Community Support

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Morten,

I agree with Nick's idea.
In nature the Office is still COM based, but in Office 2007 we have wrapped
the COM interface.
e.g.
In Excel 2003, if we want to write addin for Excel, we have to use PIA(
which is a .NET wrapper for office interface), and after we write class
library to implement COM Addin interface and register it to COM
In Excel 2007, We have more choice, e.g. application level Addin which did
not need register to COM, but this is because we make more efforts to use
VSTO to help load the .NET assembly and interactive with Office
application.(but it seems that you did not want VSTO).

Also since office 2007 is still in beta release, as for the development on
beta product you may try to post in the forum below.
Visual Studio Tools for Office
Questions on using Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System
to create managed code solutions in Excel 2003, Word 2003, InfoPath 2003, &
Outlook 2003
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=16&SiteID=1

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Peter Huang

Microsoft Online Community Support

VSTO Excel -- Urgent Help bruno_c Excel Programming 2 July 5th 06 02:10 PM
ContextSwitchDeadlock with Excel VSTO Philippe Excel Programming 0 May 22nd 06 11:49 AM
VSTO 2.0 vs Excel VBA Ben Excel Programming 1 November 3rd 05 02:17 PM
Excel in VSTO Milo Excel Programming 0 June 17th 05 02:57 AM
VSTO Excel Addin JK Excel Programming 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM