Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Capital Letter

I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMB JMB is offline

One possibility:
=ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(LEFT(A1)),LEFT(A1)))

or
=CODE(LEFT(A1))<97

assuming all of your data starts w/a letter, not some other character or
number.

If you need to force the first letter of each word in your strings to
uppercase, check into the PROPER function.

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:

I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

another way

=IF(EXACT(LEFT(A1,1),UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))),"yes","no" )

--

Gary

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote in
message ...
I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HELP ONE MORE TIME PLEASE:

The 2 cells I wish to compare are as follows:

Miami and MIAMI

or

New York and NEW YORK

I wish to determine which cells are ALL capitalized (not the first letter as
before).

Please advise.

Thanks,

FLKulchar