-   -   Capital Letter (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/373682-capital-letter.html)

F. Lawrence Kulchar

Capital Letter

I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

JMB

Capital Letter

One possibility:
=ISNUMBER(FIND(UPPER(LEFT(A1)),LEFT(A1)))

or
=CODE(LEFT(A1))<97

assuming all of your data starts w/a letter, not some other character or
number.

If you need to force the first letter of each word in your strings to
uppercase, check into the PROPER function.

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:

I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

Gary Keramidas

Capital Letter

another way

=IF(EXACT(LEFT(A1,1),UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))),"yes","no" )

--

Gary

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote in
message ...
I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

FLKulchar

Capital Letter

Thank you...

Very good,

FLKulchar
"Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasATmsn.com wrote in message
another way

=IF(EXACT(LEFT(A1,1),UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))),"yes","no" )

--

Gary

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote
in message ...
I have a bunch of cells, say A1 thru A50,

each of which is occupied by a text string, such as...

New York or
chicago or
abc or
Abc

etc, etc,etc.

HOW CAN I TEST EACH CELL FOR...WHETHER OR NOT THE STRING BEGINS WITH A
CAPITAL LETTER?????

In other words, chicago will yield..."no"

and, Chicago will yield..."yes".

Please advise,

FLKulchar

FLKulchar

Capital Letter

HELP ONE MORE TIME PLEASE:

The 2 cells I wish to compare are as follows:

Miami and MIAMI

or

New York and NEW YORK

I wish to determine which cells are ALL capitalized (not the first letter as
before).

Please advise.

Thanks,

FLKulchar
"FLKulchar" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew Taylor

Capital Letter

=EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1))
will tell you whether the text in A1 is all upper case.

"FLKulchar" wrote in message
[...]

ups.com...