Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Weekday Function Returns Wrong Number

Excel 2003

I created the following very simple subroutine as a test.

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Today)
End Sub

The message box displays the number 7. Unfortunately, today is Monday and
the message box should display the number 2. I've verified that my system
time and date are correct. It seems to me that I've run into this before
and that the fix is easy, but I'm just drawing a complete blank and searches
of the on-line help have been fruitless. Can anyone tell me how to make
this simple subroutine return the correct number for the day of the week?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use Date instead of Today

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Thomas M." wrote in message ...
Excel 2003

I created the following very simple subroutine as a test.

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Today)
End Sub

The message box displays the number 7. Unfortunately, today is Monday and the message box should display the number 2. I've
verified that my system time and date are correct. It seems to me that I've run into this before and that the fix is easy, but
I'm just drawing a complete blank and searches of the on-line help have been fruitless. Can anyone tell me how to make this
simple subroutine return the correct number for the day of the week?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

Take a look at Chip's excellent summary ...

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/weeknum.htm

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:29:09 -0600, "Thomas M."
wrote:

Excel 2003

I created the following very simple subroutine as a test.

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Today)
End Sub

The message box displays the number 7. Unfortunately, today is Monday and
the message box should display the number 2. I've verified that my system
time and date are correct. It seems to me that I've run into this before
and that the fix is easy, but I'm just drawing a complete blank and searches
of the on-line help have been fruitless. Can anyone tell me how to make
this simple subroutine return the correct number for the day of the week?

--Tom

In addition to what others have written, "Today" is not a valid keyword in VBA.
So it evaluates to Zero in the expression in your subroutine.

The ZEROth day of the calendar, in VBA, is 30 Dec 1899 which is a Saturday.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Thomas

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Now, vbMonday)
End Sub

Syntax

Weekday(date, [firstdayofweek])
--
Best Regards
Joergen Bondesen

"Thomas M." wrote in message
Excel 2003

I created the following very simple subroutine as a test.

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Today)
End Sub

The message box displays the number 7. Unfortunately, today is Monday and
the message box should display the number 2. I've verified that my system
time and date are correct. It seems to me that I've run into this before
and that the fix is easy, but I'm just drawing a complete blank and
searches of the on-line help have been fruitless. Can anyone tell me how
to make this simple subroutine return the correct number for the day of
the week?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Thomas

Sorry, if 2

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Now, vbSunday)

Best Regards
Joergen Bondesen

"Thomas M." wrote in message
Excel 2003

I created the following very simple subroutine as a test.

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Today)
End Sub

The message box displays the number 7. Unfortunately, today is Monday
and the message box should display the number 2. I've verified that my
system time and date are correct. It seems to me that I've run into this
before and that the fix is easy, but I'm just drawing a complete blank
and searches of the on-line help have been fruitless. Can anyone tell me
how to make this simple subroutine return the correct number for the day
of the week?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

DOH! I knew it was something easy, but I just couldn't pull it out of the
ol' memory banks. Thanks for your help!

--Tom

"Ron de Bruin" wrote in message
Use Date instead of Today

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Thomas M." wrote in message
Excel 2003

I created the following very simple subroutine as a test.

Sub CheckDay()
MsgBox Weekday(Today)
End Sub

The message box displays the number 7. Unfortunately, today is Monday
and the message box should display the number 2. I've verified that my
system time and date are correct. It seems to me that I've run into this
before and that the fix is easy, but I'm just drawing a complete blank
and searches of the on-line help have been fruitless. Can anyone tell me
how to make this simple subroutine return the correct number for the day
of the week?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the link. It seems like I always kind of stumble over this stuff
because I just don't work with it that often. In fact, I've taken to
keeping files in an Examples folder that I refer back to, and I know that I
have this one stored in that folder, but I don't have access to those files
at the moment.

--Tom

oups.com...