Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hide negative values!!!

I need help with hiding a negativ value!!!!

In cell A6 I have:

=A6-A4

But I just want to hide the value in A6 when it turns negative and not
change to whole value to 0

I have been reading other posts but nothing works.

=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)

excel just says that the formula contains an error! I don't put the
formula "=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)" in cell A6

thx for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

San wrote:
I need help with hiding a negativ value!!!!

In cell A6 I have:

=A6-A4

But I just want to hide the value in A6 when it turns negative and not
change to whole value to 0

I have been reading other posts but nothing works.

=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)

excel just says that the formula contains an error! I don't put the
formula "=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)" in cell A6

Hi San,
a cell cannot contain himself or a reference to that cell
Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"San" wrote in message
ps.com...
I need help with hiding a negativ value!!!!

In cell A6 I have:

=A6-A4

But I just want to hide the value in A6 when it turns negative and not
change to whole value to 0

I have been reading other posts but nothing works.

=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)

excel just says that the formula contains an error! I don't put the
formula "=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)" in cell A6

thx for your help!

As already explained by the previous posters, your formula contains a
circular reference. Won't work.
Actually you don't need a formula at all:
Just change the number format of your cells to a custom format. You will
have to define a new custom format:
#;;0

(the '#' leaves all positive numbers untouched. After the semicolon you
define how negative numbers should be formatted, Since you don't want them
to show at all, just don't define anything. After the next semicolon, you
define what to show in case of zero.

That's all.

Cheers,

Joerg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yeah the format thing works.

With the formula it doesn't I don't put the formula in the cell A6 I
put it in say A7 or anyother cell it still gives me the formula error

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

San wrote:
Yeah the format thing works.

With the formula it doesn't. I don't put the formula in the cell A6 I
put it in say A7 or anyother cell it still gives me the formula error

Could I make the negative values in cell A6 to zero. So instead of a
negative number I get zero, so I only calculate with positive numbers,

This is because I use the numbers for a graph and I don't want negative
values.

thx alot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

San wrote:
I need help with hiding a negativ value!!!!

In cell A6 I have:

=A6-A4

But I just want to hide the value in A6 when it turns negative and not
change to whole value to 0

I have been reading other posts but nothing works.

=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)

excel just says that the formula contains an error! I don't put the
formula "=IF(A6 <0,0,A6)" in cell A6

If you just want to hide it, as opposed to eliminate it, you could
conditional format it to make the text colour the same as the
background colour. That will "hide" the negative value.

Your formula should work, as long as that formula isn't placed in A6
itself.

Alternatively you could use =max(0,A6)

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ups a mistake!

In Cell A7 I have "= A6-A4" which give me "= -3" becase "A4= 3" and
A6 is currently empty.

But if "A6 = 6" then A7 would be "A7 = A6 - A4" and I would get the
value 3.

Negative numbers to zero YES keep positive numbers as they are
YES

Can anyone show me the whole formula?

many mnay thx...everyone

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So you don't want to HIDE, you want to PREVENT/CHANGE negative numbers. Big
difference.
I'm pretty confused now: If you want values in A6 to be limited to positive
numbers, you have to use a formula in A6. Having a formula in A7 doesn't
help. The MAX function as noted in travis' post would do the trick. If you
don't wan't to use a formula in A6 but rather absolute values, then you
would have to write a macro the change all negative values.

If you just don't want to show negative numbers in your chart, then why
don't you configure the chart accordingly? Set the minimum value of your
scale to zero. This is much better than manipulate the basic data of your
chart. Changing negatives to zero would result in a misleading chart (ask
any investor how he would like to see the profit development of a company,
with all losses turned into zero results).

Cheers,

Joerg

"San" wrote in message
oups.com...