Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Shockwave Flash ActiveX / CallFunction method fails

Hi,

I have strange problem with Shockwave Flash ActiveX embeded either
directly on Worksheet or within User Form (Excel 2003, same error with
Word 2003).

I'm using new Flash player 9.0.16 and trying to utilize Flex External
API that exposes to ActiveX container FlashCall event and pair of
methods SetReturnValue / CallFunction. The only thing from this trio
that doesn't work is CallFunction method -- it fails with 0x80004005
error (Automation error / Unknown error).

For testing purposes I created small application in VB and MS Access
form. For these two scenarious everything works as expected. So it's
hardly an Adobe bug, the reason must be MS Excel.

If you want to help, please mail me (vsilaev AT gmail DOT com) and I'll
send you SWF file for testing, below is code of user form that I'm
using:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
'PROBLEM HERE
ShockwaveFlash1.CallFunction _
"<invoke name=""callFlex""
returntype=""xml""<arguments<string" & _
TextBox1.Text & _
"</string</arguments</invoke"
End Sub

Private Sub ShockwaveFlash1_FlashCall(ByVal request As String)
MsgBox request
End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
ShockwaveFlash1.LoadMovie 0, "C:\path\FxExcel.swf"
End Sub

Thanks in advance,
VS