Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Shrinking buttons

I have a problem with shrinking command buttons and changing font sizes
(on the buttons) in a spreadsheet I have made.

I searched the archives of this group and I'm not the first to have a
similar problem. The only suggestion given so far was a workaround:
don't change the screen resolution while you have the spreadsheet open,
because weird things happen, like shrinking command buttons.

Ok, so that's how I can do a workaround solution, but its not a
particularly satisfactory solution when I'm distributing the
spreadsheet.

Is there a proper way to bypass this bug, so if I decide to increase
screen resolution when I want to run a really big spreadsheet I can do
so, without controls doing strange things?

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rich wrote:
click on the picture buttons , and make sure the properties are set to move
but dont size with cells

What are the "picture buttons"?

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you really mean you are changing the screen resolution and not the zoom
setting, this would be considered very bad behavior for an application.in a
multitasking environment.

Tom Ogilvy

"travis" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a problem with shrinking command buttons and changing font sizes
(on the buttons) in a spreadsheet I have made.

I searched the archives of this group and I'm not the first to have a
similar problem. The only suggestion given so far was a workaround:
don't change the screen resolution while you have the spreadsheet open,
because weird things happen, like shrinking command buttons.

Ok, so that's how I can do a workaround solution, but its not a
particularly satisfactory solution when I'm distributing the
spreadsheet.

Is there a proper way to bypass this bug, so if I decide to increase
screen resolution when I want to run a really big spreadsheet I can do
so, without controls doing strange things?

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
If you really mean you are changing the screen resolution and not the zoom
setting, this would be considered very bad behavior for an application.in a
multitasking environment.

No, I'm not changing the screen resolution with the program.

I'm developing this app on a home PC without much grunt. When I play
movies, games etc in the screen's maximum resolution it doesn't go
well. Movies are sticky and choppy etc. So I set the resolution to
something the screen can handle.

But if I am doing a very complex spreadsheet, its handy to be able to
see more of it without scrolling, so I crank up the screen to the
maximum resolution.

If I do this before opening Excel, I haven't noticed any problems. But
if I do this while Excel is running, crazy stuff happens like control
buttons shrinking down to tiny dots and font sizes on controls going
haywire.

I know, the obvious solution is don't change screen res while Excel is
running.

I don't, now that I've established that there is a link between
changing resolution and these weird bugs.

But rather than tiptoe around silly bugs, I'd rather fix them. Anyone
know if there is anything I can do about the problem, properly?

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you manually changing the resolution or in code ?

I don't see your problem with manual change. If with API calls, post your
code.

NickHK

"travis"
groups.com...

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

NickHK wrote:
Are you manually changing the resolution or in code ?

I don't see your problem with manual change. If with API calls, post your
code.

Manual.

And its got nothing to do with the app, just me wanting to see my app a
bit better.

Travis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe a problem with your video driver, as I can't reproduce the problem.
XL2K.

NickHK

"travis"
egroups.com...