Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adobe blocks AutoRunMacros

I have a series of projects that install and updates other excel projects.
However, if the user has the adobe create PDF add-in on their main menu, then
the AutoRunMacros won't kick in. No errors reported. I can't test it by
stepping through the code as I don't (and won't) have the add-in installed.
Does ayone else come across this problem? If so, what'd you do other then
telling the user to un-install the adobe add-in (they won't).

Thanks
--
3c
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know about the problem, but you can have the code that opens the
workbook also run the macro.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"CarloC" wrote:

I have a series of projects that install and updates other excel projects.
However, if the user has the adobe create PDF add-in on their main menu, then
the AutoRunMacros won't kick in. No errors reported. I can't test it by
stepping through the code as I don't (and won't) have the add-in installed.
Does ayone else come across this problem? If so, what'd you do other then
telling the user to un-install the adobe add-in (they won't).

Thanks
--
3c

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually, there is no code that opens the workbook. What the "Installer" and
"Updater" projects do is to copy other project files from a server to the
user's local c-drive. This way we are able to fix bugs and create new
features to the existing projects without alerting the user that they have to
re-install everytime.

--
3c

"CarloC" wrote:

I have a series of projects that install and updates other excel projects.
However, if the user has the adobe create PDF add-in on their main menu, then
the AutoRunMacros won't kick in. No errors reported. I can't test it by
stepping through the code as I don't (and won't) have the add-in installed.
Does ayone else come across this problem? If so, what'd you do other then
telling the user to un-install the adobe add-in (they won't).

Thanks
--
3c

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have had the AdobePDF.xla add-in installed for a couple of years with out
any concern or affecting macro operation.
What makes you think this is the cause ?

NickHK

"CarloC" wrote in message
I have a series of projects that install and updates other excel projects.
However, if the user has the adobe create PDF add-in on their main menu,

then
the AutoRunMacros won't kick in. No errors reported. I can't test it by
stepping through the code as I don't (and won't) have the add-in

installed.
Does ayone else come across this problem? If so, what'd you do other then
telling the user to un-install the adobe add-in (they won't).

Thanks
--
3c

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's not that the add-in blocks all macro runs, only the AutoRunMacros it
seems. But that's part of the problem. Since I don't have the Add-in
installed, I can't test to see where the problem lies.
--
3c

"CarloC" wrote in message
I have a series of projects that install and updates other excel projects.
However, if the user has the adobe create PDF add-in on their main menu,

then
the AutoRunMacros won't kick in. No errors reported. I can't test it by
stepping through the code as I don't (and won't) have the add-in

installed.
Does ayone else come across this problem? If so, what'd you do other then
telling the user to un-install the adobe add-in (they won't).

Thanks
--
3c

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default AHA: Adobe blocks AutoRunMacros

Okay, I'm looking a little red in the face.

What's wrong with this code?

If InStrRev(strMyCaption, SomeButton(i).Caption, -1) < 0 then
myButton(i).Delete
End If

Answer:
If SomeButton(i).Caption is an empty string then the InStrRev function
returns the first character location starting from the right to left. So
really, the function should read...
If InStrRev(SomeButton(i).Caption, strMyCaption, -1) < 0 then
myButton(i).Delete
End If
....assuming that strMyCaption is never an empty string. So what was
happening was that my updater program would search for a specific tool bar
button but the Adober buttons do not have a caption! Consequently, the
program would come across an Exists condition because of that and end! The
other project which was to start through the AutoRunMacros routine never got
invoked.
--
3c

"CarloC" wrote:

I have a series of projects that install and updates other excel projects.
However, if the user has the adobe create PDF add-in on their main menu, then
the AutoRunMacros won't kick in. No errors reported. I can't test it by
stepping through the code as I don't (and won't) have the add-in installed.
Does ayone else come across this problem? If so, what'd you do other then
telling the user to un-install the adobe add-in (they won't).

Thanks
--
3c

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sometimes until you ask, you are not looking in the right place, so glad you
found the error.
I doubted that addin was (directly) the cause.

NickHk