Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I protect an Excel worksheet for use as a form by others

I have created a workbook that flows information from workseet to worksheet
with calculations etc. I need to be able to protect the worksheets original
formulas while allowing users access to the fields to input information much
as you would on a form. How do I go about protecting the worksheet? There
are Macros that also needs to be allowed each time for the complete info to
work. Is there something additonal to protect this feature?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

tools=Protection=Protect Worksheet

all cells are locked by default (format=cells=Protection tab to check or
change), but this is meaningless until you protect the worksheet.

Unlock the ones you want your users to have access to.

In your code, unprotect the sheet, do your work, protect the sheet.

Tom Ogilvy

"blibs" wrote:

I have created a workbook that flows information from workseet to worksheet
with calculations etc. I need to be able to protect the worksheets original
formulas while allowing users access to the fields to input information much
as you would on a form. How do I go about protecting the worksheet? There
are Macros that also needs to be allowed each time for the complete info to
work. Is there something additonal to protect this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I protect an Excel worksheet for use as a form by other

I've protected the worksheets but the cells with the formulas are where the
data goes for flow between the worksheets so how do I allow input into those
cells without changing the formulas. My problem with protecting the sheet is
they if they put in data and then try to change it, the formula is lost.

"blibs" wrote:

I have created a workbook that flows information from workseet to worksheet
with calculations etc. I need to be able to protect the worksheets original
formulas while allowing users access to the fields to input information much
as you would on a form. How do I go about protecting the worksheet? There
are Macros that also needs to be allowed each time for the complete info to
work. Is there something additonal to protect this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You either allow entry or not. I am not sure of the "problem". How can the
cells with the formulas be where the data goes. Either the cell contains a
formula or it contains data. You can't have both.

Tom Ogilvy

"blibs" wrote:

I have created a workbook that flows information from workseet to worksheet
with calculations etc. I need to be able to protect the worksheets original
formulas while allowing users access to the fields to input information much
as you would on a form. How do I go about protecting the worksheet? There
are Macros that also needs to be allowed each time for the complete info to
work. Is there something additonal to protect this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are "if" conditions in the cells. For example "if" this is 0 then it
doesn't carry to the next worksheet. If it is 0 it carries and is then used
in the next set of worksheet criteria.

"blibs" wrote:

I have created a workbook that flows information from workseet to worksheet
with calculations etc. I need to be able to protect the worksheets original
formulas while allowing users access to the fields to input information much
as you would on a form. How do I go about protecting the worksheet? There
are Macros that also needs to be allowed each time for the complete info to
work. Is there something additonal to protect this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Let's try this again. The data entered is in a different cell but it then
needs to be sorted after entry and when it is locked for protection it won't
let you sort. Sorry about the confusion, there's 2 of us trying to figure
this out and I thought we were at a different issue.

"blibs" wrote:

I have created a workbook that flows information from workseet to worksheet
with calculations etc. I need to be able to protect the worksheets original
formulas while allowing users access to the fields to input information much
as you would on a form. How do I go about protecting the worksheet? There
are Macros that also needs to be allowed each time for the complete info to
work. Is there something additonal to protect this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you using xl2002 or later, in the protect worksheet dialog, there is an
option to allow sorting.

If in an earlier version, I guess you will have to use code to unprotect the
sheet and sort it, then protect it again.

Tom Ogilvy