Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Crash due to worksheet order?

I've got a very strange issue where on some computers, the workbook opens
just fine, but on others, Excel crashes as soon as it opens and says:
"Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience."
If I change the order of some of some hidden worksheets on one of the
computers where it does still work, and then reopen it on the ones where it
had crashed, it's okay. While I do have this work-around for the time being,
I'm also seeing some similar issues, and would like to try and figure out the
underlying cause.
We make heavy use of macros, and the third party components from Hyperion
Essbase.

Thanks!
Stephanie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Essbase is (in all likelyhood) not be the cause of your problems. I have been
using it for years with no real problems. There are some issues with Essbase
but nothing that will crash a sheet in the manner you have discussed. You can
try Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner to see if that will rectify the problem...

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Stephanie" wrote:

I've got a very strange issue where on some computers, the workbook opens
just fine, but on others, Excel crashes as soon as it opens and says:
"Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience."
If I change the order of some of some hidden worksheets on one of the
computers where it does still work, and then reopen it on the ones where it
had crashed, it's okay. While I do have this work-around for the time being,
I'm also seeing some similar issues, and would like to try and figure out the
underlying cause.
We make heavy use of macros, and the third party components from Hyperion
Essbase.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What constitutes a weird name? There are a few sheets that have symbols in
them, such as "Overhead $" and "# of Employees". There are also 85 sheets,
which I know is a lot. I get the crash even if I select to disable macros.

"Stephanie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Jim, it's at least good to know that it's probably not being caused by
essbase. We actually have a generator that writes the code, and I have run it
through there which removes and re-writes the code. I did go ahead and try
the code cleaner too, but unfortunately I still get the crash.

"Stephanie" wrote:

I've got a very strange issue where on some computers, the workbook opens
just fine, but on others, Excel crashes as soon as it opens and says:
"Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience."
If I change the order of some of some hidden worksheets on one of the
computers where it does still work, and then reopen it on the ones where it
had crashed, it's okay. While I do have this work-around for the time being,
I'm also seeing some similar issues, and would like to try and figure out the
underlying cause.
We make heavy use of macros, and the third party components from Hyperion
Essbase.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See if something might be relevant here

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsd.htm

in particular the links to Dependency trees, Calculation process and UDF's

Regards,
Peter T

"Stephanie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks! Of course it's going to take some more investigation, but something
along those line could definitely explain it. That gives me at least a
direction to go in investigation.

"Stephanie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stephanie,

I'm facing more less the same problem with a workbook that uses lot of
scripts, but I could notice these two facts:
1.- When the file was saved by one PC and then opened by a second one the
problem appeared, the way to deal with was to save the file locally by the
second PC disabling first the macros.
2.- Some times excel was not crashing when it opened the file, but stopping
in one instruction like sheets("Setup").select, this instruction is located
in the workOpen event and it looks like excel was not having opened at that
time this "Setup" sheet.

Did you find other way to deal with this issue ?, thanks for your comments.
--
Regards
Jorge Mendoza V