Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Automatically extracting MS Project data for use in Excel

Hi All,

Potentially a tricky one (not least because I might be going about
doing it in a bit of a backwards way)...

I've got a large amount of data in a MS Project file, which is too much
to be able to be able to use as a summary document. To this end, I've
created a series of macros which use the project data to prodcue
summary charts and graphs as required - this is done and dusted with...

The bit that remains, and that I'm struggling with, is how to simplify
the process. I want a single button, in excel, that when pushed does
the following:

1. Opens up hte relevant Project file
2. extracts the required fields (for example, name and start date) from
that project file and saves them elsewhere in the workbook.
3. closes back up the project file - and lets my other macros do their
magic on the resultant data...

To be honest, I can' t do any of these - but I'm particularly stumped
by 2. I've thought about trying to save the data in project as an .xls
(using a template as required), or getting excel to run some macro in
Project which could do the extract.... Any help with these or examples
of bits of code that might help would be fabulous!

Thanks in advance....

Chris