Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Extracting information to automatically find previous value.

I have the following information $442,400 $+16,900 ($+1,200) contained in one
cell & would like to be able to subtract the 2nd figure $+16,900, from the
first figure $442,400 using a text formula in another cell. I have tried a
few formulas, but the problem is that the numbers involved can be in the
hundreds of dollars anywhere up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

$442,400 $+16,900 ($+1,200) contained in one cell

Assuming the 2nd set of digits is *always* preceded by a space then 2
characters and followed by a space:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)-MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+3,FIND(" ",A1,FIND("
",A1)+1)-(FIND(" ",A1)+3))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP