Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DS DS is offline

Default Excel 2000 to 2003, Resources for Compatability?

Hi all,

We're upgrading from Office 2000 to 2003 shortly, and I've been having a
look through these forums to see if I can expect any issues with the upgrade
affecting workbooks written for 2000. I've seen quite a few items where these
are "niggly issues" - and small amendments are all that's required to make
items work in 2003, usually due to tighter controls being in place in 2003.

In order to pre-empt a lot of posts along the lines of "this code works in
2000, but not now, HELP"....... does anyone know of an online resource (or a
decent reference book) which has details regarding the changes that I might
expect?

I'd rather be aware of any necessary changes ahead of time so that I can
prepare ahead if possible, minimise impact on users, and avoid my frustration
trying to figure out what's wrong - not to mention wasting valuable time of
members here with a string of questions and code queries once I hit any
problems!

Many thanks in advance
DS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

DS -

In my opinion, the single most important guideline for your situation is to
develop in Office 2000 and test in Office 2003.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"DS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DS DS is offline

Thanks for your reply Mike, unfortunately that's not really an option in this
instance. All computers in the company are going to be upgraded to 2003 at
the same time, at which point I will lose access to 2000, and multiple items,
if they have any issues with 2003 compatability, will suddenly cease to
function correctly - and I'm sure you can understand that I don't really like
the idea of having multiple items all suddenly failing at the same time!
Although I have 2003 at home, and use it quite happily there without any
issues, I'm not really able to transfer untold numbers of documents and take
them home to test the functionality (besides, they wouldn't pay me the
overtime to do so...) in a 2003 environment pre-change.

Because of the fact that I've learned what I know of VBA in an uncontrolled
way (learned through using it rather than taking structured courses etc), I
know full well that there is lots I don't know, and I'm looking to avoid any
complications due to issues that I simply unaware of at the moment. This is
why I would prefer to have access to a resource which would detail any
changes I'll need to address for the transfer of Office version.

Thanks!
DS

"DS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's the MS page:
Non MS document
http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,390...000588q,00.htm

Google for various hits
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...issues&spell=1

NickHK

"DS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DS DS is offline

Nick,those are awesome - the MS and white paper look to be exactly what I was
needing.

Thanks very much for that, and hopefully I won't be bugging you guys too
much about it now!

Cheers
DS