Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default EXCEL functionality

I seem to recall that there is some feature in EXCEL that will alert you to the fact that a cell's formula appears different from that of its neighbors. For example, if you copied a formula across a row and then, for testing purposes, overwrote one of the cells with a value, then forgot to change it back to the formula, it would alert you to that.

Can anyone remind me of what that might be?

Thanks!
Dean
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<error checking tab
Check: Enable background error checking
Check: Inconsistent formula in region

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Dean" wrote:

I seem to recall that there is some feature in EXCEL that will alert you to the fact that a cell's formula appears different from that of its neighbors. For example, if you copied a formula across a row and then, for testing purposes, overwrote one of the cells with a value, then forgot to change it back to the formula, it would alert you to that.

Can anyone remind me of what that might be?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yup, that does it!

Actually, it does not seem as powerful as I'd hoped. If you have copied a
formula across a row and accidentally replace one of the cells with its
value, since a value is not a formula per se, it doesn't seem to object
(actually, if I put =0, rather than just 0, it seems to object just fine).
Does that seem right to you?

Also, I think you have to have sheets unprotected for it to work.

Still it's nice to have.

One other question: Rather than have to look thru every cell for that green
triangle marker, is there a way to see all such identified inconsistent
cells somehow in a list or table?

Thanks much!
Dean

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message