Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default form with excel and word functionality

I'm trying to create a form that allows users to enter goals for the
year (the word part) and then enter weights and scores for those goals
that will be calculated (the excel part).
I've been doing some research on trying to do this and I've reached a
dead end. Here are the options I've been able to come up with and why
they won't work:

1. using excel - no automatic spell check, clunky text interface, no
formatting.
2. protected document with form fields in word - no spell check or
formatting in form fields(why?!?), form field calculations don't work
when document isn't protected
3. table math in word - not able to do what I want it to do, have to
update it
4. embedded excel spreadsheet in word - doesn't line up with the word
parts (no link between goals and scores), clunky interface
5. embedded word doc in excel - same as #4

Does anybody have any other ideas or help to complete this form?
Anybody know why Microsoft doesn't integrate more word functionality in
excel(special text boxes?) or more excel functionality in
word(calculations based on bookmarks that don't have form fields)?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Josh,

Yes, the Excel interface isn't familiar to most folks. There's a
CheckSpelling method you could invoke from the Worksheet_Change event when
the user has finished and pressed Enter. Or you could make a UserForm with
Excel that would be more familiar -- they could just click into any box and
don't have to know about Edit Mode to change existing data. But you'll have
to write code to make it all work.

Is this one document (file) per user, or one file all?

If your users have Access, consider that. The input forms are familiar, and
you can remove all traces of Access -- the users would see only your forms
and menus. I don't recall if it has automatic spell check, though. You
probably won't have to write any code. The users will have to have Access,
and it gets clunky when they have different versions of Access.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"JOSHK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was hoping not to get into writing code for this document.
It is one file per user.
I never considered (or even used) Access before, I'll have to take a look at
it.

Thanks