Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to create a custom function

I need to create a custom function called LetterGrade that uses two arguments
TotalPossible and TotalPoints based on the following;
If percentage of TotalPoints/TotalPossible is =90% the letter grade should
be an A, etc. When I type the word percentage it shows an error. do I need
to define percentage if so how.

Sorry I am new at this and any help would be appreciated.

Also I need to declare a variable GradePercentage that calculates
TotalPoints/TotalPossible and compare the gradePercentage to letter grade
cutoffs and return appropriate letter grade from lettergrade function.

I would appreciate and help or examples on this that might help.
thank you,
Marcie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Marcie,
Don't use percentages; 0.9

NickHK

"Marcie" wrote in message
Steve, thank you but how do I write "If the percentage of TotalPoints
etc...." when I type "If percentage of total..." I cant use the word
percentage in my formula. do you know how I can get it to work? Do I

need
to type something defining percentage of total?
Thanks

"Steve Yandl" wrote:

Marcie,

This doesn't answer your question entirely but it is probably enough of

head start to let you set something up:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelF.htm#Grades

Steve

"Marcie" wrote in message
I need to create a custom function called LetterGrade that uses two
arguments
TotalPossible and TotalPoints based on the following;
If percentage of TotalPoints/TotalPossible is =90% the letter grade
should
be an A, etc. When I type the word percentage it shows an error. do I
need
to define percentage if so how.

Sorry I am new at this and any help would be appreciated.

Also I need to declare a variable GradePercentage that calculates
TotalPoints/TotalPossible and compare the gradePercentage to letter

grade
cutoffs and return appropriate letter grade from lettergrade function.

I would appreciate and help or examples on this that might help.
thank you,
Marcie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Marcie

This will get you what you want:

Function LetterGrade(TotalPossible, TotalPoints)
Dim gradePer As Double

gradePer = TotalPoints / TotalPossible * 100

If gradePer = 90 Then
LetterGrade = "A"
ElseIf gradePer = 80 Then
LetterGrade = "B"
ElseIf gradePer = 70 Then
LetterGrade = "C"
ElseIf gradePer = 60 Then
LetterGrade = "D"
Else
LetterGrade = "F"
End If

End Function

You can save time by not calculating the percentage.

Function LetterGrade2(TotalPossible, TotalPoints)
Dim gradePer As Double

gradePer = TotalPoints / TotalPossible

If gradePer = 0.9 Then
LetterGrade2 = "A"
ElseIf gradePer = 0.8 Then
LetterGrade2 = "B"
ElseIf gradePer = 0.7 Then
LetterGrade2 = "C"
ElseIf gradePer = 0.6 Then
LetterGrade2 = "D"
Else
LetterGrade2 = "F"
End If

End Function

Marcie wrote:
Steve, thank you but how do I write "If the percentage of TotalPoints
etc...." when I type "If percentage of total..." I cant use the word
percentage in my formula. do you know how I can get it to work? Do I need
to type something defining percentage of total?
Thanks

Marcie,

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
thank you,