Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Merge different excel spreadsheets w/common range but differnt val

Hi, I have an Access database that I have exported into Excel. There are
many fields for each record. One field is common to this sheet and to
another sheet that is I have generated from a delimited txt file produced by
running a batch query on a different non-microsoft databse. Is there any way
to combine the two sheets into one, using the common range, but individually
by the differnt values contained in that range. I.E. Col A = Name B=Age
C=Height D=weight and the next sheet Col A=Name B=Mass C=Color D=Birthday.
I want to produce a report that has all the fields combined and specifically,
the correct data attributed to the correct name. I have tried pivot tables
and looked at consolidation, but neither seems to work for me. Appreciate
your suggestions and assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you import or link your text file (or even the original table/query from
the non-MS DB, if possible) in Access. You should then be able to produce a
query, JOINing your 2 tables on Name.
Get the results of this query in Excel as you are currently doing. Or make a
report in Access.

NickHK

"DaMcH47D" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

it sounds like you could use vlookup as long as the value for 'name' is
unique in either of the two sheets.

--
steven1001
steven1001's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Merge different excel spreadsheets w/common range but differnt

Thanks Nick and Steve.

I will give them both a shot, but I do not think the vlookup function will
be effective. The database is for stock in a warehouse. Unfortunately,
there are several pieces of each where stock numbers are exactly the same,
the only difference is the serial number. The other proprietary database
contains data about all the stocks throughout the entire organization
worldwide, to include price and shelf life info, not just my 13000 items.
It is keyed by the stock number. So, the value is unique in the other
database, but there may be several instances of that number in my database.
Will try more and let you know how it goes. Thanks for both of your replies.

"steven1001" wrote:

it sounds like you could use vlookup as long as the value for 'name' is
unique in either of the two sheets.

--
steven1001
steven1001's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30757
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=566899

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Nick, I have tried several times to import the excel sheet into the
database, but I keep getting fail errors. I thought it might be that the
excel sheet is from Office 2003, but even though I have Access 2003, the
database is still in access 2000. Do you think this would matter? I did not
try the text file directly. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks again.