SOS

Default How do I merge 2 excel spreadsheets containing some common info?

I have two spreadsheets containing different stats on people and I would like
to combine all of this information into one spreadsheet by "matching" the
people and pulling the data together. The people are all listed in one
column. the spreadsheets were created on different dates so there will not
always be a match of people from one spreadsheet to the other?

thanks for any help you can provide!
Lotus123

Two things I can think of:

1) Assuming the two spreadsheets have the same data...just different
people (and same people; thus duplicates) - Copy all of the data into
one spreadsheet and then short by name. Then create an if() function
in the last column to determine if the current record is identical to
the previous record...if it is, tag it as a "1"...if not..."0". Paste
this new column as values when you are done and then sort by this
column...all of the duplicates will get sorted to the bottom and can
then be deleted. You could also do this with a pivot table; if you
know how to use a pivot table.

2) Assuming the table has different info for the same people (one table
has address...other table has birtdays, etc). You a series of vlookups
to merge data between spreadsheets.

--
Lotus123
Lotus123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28611