Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default show value but hide function

Hi,

I have a macro the works great and does a lot. Now I want some cells
to show the results I got but hide the functions and calculations
behind them. As of now if someone clicks on the cell they can see the
formula that was used to get the result. I was them to only see the
result and not be able to see (or change) the formula. Is there any
way to do this?

-Idan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Idan

First go menu Format Cells, Protection section. Choose Locked and also
Hidden.

Now protect the sheet with Tools Protection Protect worksheet.

There are quite a few things a user can't do in a protected sheet, but this
is the only way to protect your cell.

HTH. Best woishes Harald

skrev i melding
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a macro the works great and does a lot. Now I want some cells
to show the results I got but hide the functions and calculations
behind them. As of now if someone clicks on the cell they can see the
formula that was used to get the result. I was them to only see the
result and not be able to see (or change) the formula. Is there any
way to do this?

-Idan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello

There is a way indeed. You need to use the Tools/Protection/Protect
sheet (or workbook) option. This will then prevent anyone changing
anything.

In order to hide the formulae you need to select the cell in question
and under the Format/Cells/Protection select "hidden". This means that
when you protect the worksheet the formula will be hidden. Even though
it is invisible it can still be deleted so you shoudl also check the
"locked" option next to the "hidden" option and then people will not be
able to change anything either.

By default, every cell is set up with "Locked" in a speadsheet so that
when you activate protection nothing may be changed. If you need to
allow input into certain cells by the user then you should select those
cells and uncheck the "locked" option. Of course if you want someone to
be able to enter in more cells than not then you can select the whole
sheet, deselect "locked" for everything and then simply reselct
"locked" for the few cells in question.

Clear?

Good luck

--