Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Active Cell to be used as filter...

Hi guys, think its a tough one...

I need to run a macro that filters data based on the contents of the
active cell.

Eg within my "info" sheet, I have:
a1 = cat
b1 = dog
c1 = Mouse

In another sheet (master) there are columns, one of which is "type of
animal"

If user is on cell a1 in the "info" sheet and activates the macro, I
need the Macro to filter the column "type of animal" in the "master"
sheet. (I also need to apply a second filter to another column in the
master sheet, but that is not dependent on the users choice so I have
been able to do using .AutoFilter Field:=13, Criteria1:="Y")

Appreciate any thoughts,suggestions and solutions for this novice VBA
user!!! :)

Thanks

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Darin,

Of course, this depends on the location and layout of your datatable on sheet Master (specifically,
which column has the Tyupe of Animal field):

With Worksheets("Master").Range("A1").CurrentRegion
.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=ActiveCell.Value
.AutoFilter Field:=13, Criteria1:="Y"
End With

--
HTH,
Bernie

"Darin Kramer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hmm..Thanks Bernie for replying - appreciate it. Perhaps my explanation
was not good enough - what im trying to do is to put the active cell
reference in the Autofilter field column, (not the criteria column) ie I
dont know which field (1,2,3 or 4) to run the criteria (Y/N) on...

(within master sheet I have 4 "type" columns - Type - Cat is 1st column,
Type mouse is second col etc etc. Within the column I have a Y or a N.
The reason for 4 columns and not 1 is that you could have an entry that
releates to 1,2,3 or 4 columns (perhaps imagine owners as details on the
rows)
Thus when a user clicks elsewhere, I want excel to "choose" which column
to apply the autofilter to.
Perhaps named ranges would work...?

Kind Regards

Darin