Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default workbook macros now run VERY slowly ... ideas please

I made some revisions to a workbook and when I went to run the macros later I
noticed that everything was running terribly slow (seconds to minutes for
something that was instantaneous before). The workbook size had also
increased from 1.5 megs to 40 megs. I identified the reason for the size
increase (autofilter copy/paste included too many rows) and reduced the size
back to the 1.5 megs. BUT, it still runs at snail's pace. The CPU stays
pegged at about 50% while the macros are running, but it shouldn't be taking
so long.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might be able to identify/rectify
the problem?

TIA

WD
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Visible page breaks can do this. Try adding this line of code:
activeSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False
at the start of the code and after any macro code that will cause page
breaks to be added to the worksheet.

I'm guessing that you're really running the CPU at 100% but that you're on a
hyperthreaded or dual core system and so it only shows as 50%.

josh

"wdeleo" wrote in message
I made some revisions to a workbook and when I went to run the macros later
noticed that everything was running terribly slow (seconds to minutes for
something that was instantaneous before). The workbook size had also
increased from 1.5 megs to 40 megs. I identified the reason for the size
increase (autofilter copy/paste included too many rows) and reduced the
size
back to the 1.5 megs. BUT, it still runs at snail's pace. The CPU stays
pegged at about 50% while the macros are running, but it shouldn't be
taking
so long.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might be able to
identify/rectify
the problem?

TIA

WD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default UPDATE - more info

If I turn calculation to manual, one particular simple macro takes much less
than a second. If I manually calculate (F9), calculation takes ~0.5 seconds.
If I turn calc back to manual, the same macro takes about one MINUTE. How
can I figure out where the hold-up is???