Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How many excel processes can you open?

Hi,

i have created a web application which opens an excel sheet, enters some
data, calculates the data and retrieve the outcome of the calculation. This
application will be used by lots of people. Now i have heared that not too
many excel processes can be opened on the server (about 5). What is true
about this? Will this be a problem for me?

Thanks,

Stanley
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From what I understand, neither Excel nor the other Office components are
not supported to run in a server environment. Doesn't mean you can't, but
it's not design for it. I can't find a link at the moment to back that up at
the moment, so I may be mistaken.
I suppose the limit of instances would be determined by memory:
http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm
You would need to take of instance not closing as expected.

NickHK

"Stanley" wrote in message

i have created a web application which opens an excel sheet, enters some
data, calculates the data and retrieve the outcome of the calculation.

This
application will be used by lots of people. Now i have heared that not too
many excel processes can be opened on the server (about 5). What is true
about this? Will this be a problem for me?

Thanks,

Stanley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Too many negatives: "..neither Excel nor the other Office components are
supported..."

Having said that, does this help ?

NickHK

From what I understand, neither Excel nor the other Office components are

"Stanley" wrote in message

i have created a web application which opens an excel sheet, enters some
data, calculates the data and retrieve the outcome of the calculation.

This
application will be used by lots of people. Now i have heared that not

too
many excel processes can be opened on the server (about 5). What is true
about this? Will this be a problem for me?

Thanks,

Stanley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick, thnx for the response. So it sounds plausible that you can open as
many excel processes as you can as long as memory accepts it. Think that
won't be a problem than.
Also, i have read that automating excel through web application is not
supported. But i did manage to get it working. I only need to insert data,
call a macro and read the outcome. I'm not doing any strange things with the
excelsheet.

Regards,

Stanley

"NickHK" wrote:

Too many negatives: "..neither Excel nor the other Office components are
supported..."

Having said that, does this help ?

NickHK

From what I understand, neither Excel nor the other Office components are