Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jai jai is offline

Default Processes in one cell

Hi,

I am working in the HR department in a BPO Industry. Last week, my manager
has given me a tedious task. I have to prepare employee master of 5000
employees of around 85 different processes. I have prepared that sheet by
combining many existing sheets. Now, I have to update that sheet on daily
basis but the problem is in maintaining the Process Column, because as per
the process need, may be one has to change his process more than 50 times in
a year or not even one time. Now if I will insert 50 columns in that sheet it
will become very huge and confusing sheet for me and others as well because
it is already a very big sheet having each and every detail of an emplyee. I
want to know is it possible to enter all the processes in one single cell and
until we reach to that particular cell it should show the last process (means
current process in which he is working) and if we reach to that particular
cell it should show the whole process he was moved from one department to
another. For example-

If one join process (A) then move to process (B) then (C) then
(D)-(E)-(F)----(Y) and at last if he is working in (Z) then cell should show
(Z) but the moment I reach to that particular cell it should show
(A)-(B)-(C)-(D)-(E)-(F)------(Y)-(Z).

It is not necessary that it should be in the same process, if you understand
my problem you can suggest me different ideas to solve this problem.

Note-I have to use regularly the Vlookup for taking the current department
in other different sheet. So, it should be flexible for this.

Thanks & regards

Jai

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have the answer, but this might push you in a direction?

I totally forgot how I did this, but a long time ago, I had a file with
macro's which made a copy of some cells (the department in your case) when
the file opened to a hidden sheet. then when the file is saved, another macro
saves the same cells in that hidden sheet, in the adjecent column. This way
you can see every change. I remember it was a lot of work to create though...
--
Hendrik Kleine

"jai" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps enter it all in a single cell, but "insert" the current process
at the begining of the cell, so the progression will be read in reverse
order so if the current process is Z and the original was A it would
look like