Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Bloomberg links

Well at my company we have a proper bloomberg connection and terminal so that
is the bloomberg I am referring to. I would like to export data automaticaly
from a bllomberg terminal onto a spreadsheet. The website does not do it
since it is not in real time and does not have all the stuff that the
terminal has.Thanks anyway!!
"Don Guillett" skrev:

more detail and the url involved. At the website, have you tried a right
clickimport to microsoft file?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Viktor Ygdorff" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a good site where I can find info on how to connect
Bloomberg to an Excel spreadsheet? I want to download some data
automatically
(like once every day) to a spreadsheet and then if possible connect that
spreadsheet to other spreadsheets. If anyone has any link tips (or direct
tips) please help me! Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Viktor,

Do you want to use DDE, RTD or the Active X control? How many instruments
are you looking at and how many data fields per instrument?

You cannot actually put this on a remote server and there are data license
issues - you should be aware of these before proceeding. If you put some
answers on here then I'll reply with an answer shortly.

John

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"Don Guillett" skrev:

more detail and the url involved. At the website, have you tried a right
clickimport to microsoft file?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Viktor Ygdorff" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a good site where I can find info on how to connect
Bloomberg to an Excel spreadsheet? I want to download some data
automatically
(like once every day) to a spreadsheet and then if possible connect that
spreadsheet to other spreadsheets. If anyone has any link tips (or direct
tips) please help me! Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for your answer John! As my parsimonious presentation of my problem
might have revealed I am no close acquantance to neither Bloomberg nor Excel
VBA. Thus, the aswer to your question is that any method that does is fine
for me...Is there an easy and a hard way to do it or what are the differences
between e.g. DDE and Active X? I thought about the licence issue too and you
night be right there... I am sorry but I cannot give more info at the moment
since I have not yet looked into the problem. Perhaps you can help me some
general questions and then I will dig into the sunject myself?

1) How hard is this task to do? Might be hard to say but is it doable for
someone with "ordinary" computer skills?
2)Do you know any good books, links etc about connecting Bloomberg to Excel
(automatic connection)

Thank you very much for your help John. I know I have not been very specific
but I dwell in ignorance too here..

"Don Guillett" skrev:

more detail and the url involved. At the website, have you tried a right
clickimport to microsoft file?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Viktor Ygdorff" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a good site where I can find info on how to connect
Bloomberg to an Excel spreadsheet? I want to download some data
automatically
(like once every day) to a spreadsheet and then if possible connect that
spreadsheet to other spreadsheets. If anyone has any link tips (or direct
tips) please help me! Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Viktor,

"I dwell in ignorance". That's not a bad state to be in, all of us are in
the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...

OK, so, this is not a terrifically difficult thing to do. If you are not a
programmer then ignore the ActiveX control - it's a bit trickier to use. If
you use Excel 2002 or above the use RTD, 2000 and below then use DDE. Note
that DDE is a damn awful technology - avoid at all costs. RTD is much better.

General questions to find answers for:

How many instruments?
Will the instruments change from day to day?
How many data fields per instrument?

You can see some examples of this in the bloomberg directory - it's going to
be something like c:\blp\dde\examples. There is also an online help - WAPI
<go from your bloomberg page.

Finally, try asking your bloomberg account manager for some help on this.
Your firm will be paying about $1500 per machine per bloomberg, so those guys
should be willing to help you out on this. And if your Bloomberg account
manager won't help, call your bloomberg sales guy and tell him you are moving
to Reuters Kobra as the Reuters helpdesk is better (by the way, that's true -
the reuters helpdesk is a heck of a lot better than bloomberg, the default
blomberg answer is basically that you are a dummy and they cannot help -
first line help are useless).

Have a go with that and post back if you get stuck.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"Don Guillett" skrev:

more detail and the url involved. At the website, have you tried a right
clickimport to microsoft file?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Viktor Ygdorff" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a good site where I can find info on how to connect
Bloomberg to an Excel spreadsheet? I want to download some data
automatically
(like once every day) to a spreadsheet and then if possible connect that
spreadsheet to other spreadsheets. If anyone has any link tips (or direct
tips) please help me! Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi guys,

Very useful and interesting discussion. I have a similar problem and almost
no experience in working with bloomberg.
For me there is a huge list of companies and missing financial indicators,
which have to be taken from Bloomberg automatically, but have no idea how to
do this.
Probably , there is a simple task once you are experienced in using B.
Maybe you know some links where I could find examples how to do this?

Thanx in advance