Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default automatic shape property settings

Hi,

I would like to have some properties of "autoshapes" linked to cells
values, e.g. size, rotation, visibility etc.
I know that Visio has native support for this feature, is it
implemented in excel too?

As alternative approach, I imagine that I have to write some macro and
link change events on the monitored cells to code which sets the
properties of shapes, am I right?

Another shapes-related question: I know that it is possible to draw by
code, but I would like to know if there is a "shape editor" able to
create shapes usable directly in Excel or if there are somewhere
libraries of shapes to enrich the native ones. Or course cliparts can
do the job for several tasks, but sometimes a richer shape library is
a better solution.

Bye & tks for your kind attention.

Luca
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not familiar with Visio, so I don't know what feature you are
describing, but the attributes of shapes in excel are change either by
manually editing the shape, or by changing the equivalent attributes using
VBA code. If you want to use the worksheet change event to determine that a
change has been made in a particular cell and execute code that will then
modify an attribute of a particular shape with the value in that cell, you
can do that.

There is no separate editor that I am aware of, but you can edit the shapes
on the worksheet within the capabilities provided. Make the drawing toolbar
visible.

Other than that, I would assume you can copy and paste a visio shape into
excel as a visio object.

Tom Ogilvy

"Luca" wrote in message

I would like to have some properties of "autoshapes" linked to cells
values, e.g. size, rotation, visibility etc.
I know that Visio has native support for this feature, is it
implemented in excel too?

As alternative approach, I imagine that I have to write some macro and
link change events on the monitored cells to code which sets the
properties of shapes, am I right?

Another shapes-related question: I know that it is possible to draw by
code, but I would like to know if there is a "shape editor" able to
create shapes usable directly in Excel or if there are somewhere
libraries of shapes to enrich the native ones. Or course cliparts can
do the job for several tasks, but sometimes a richer shape library is
a better solution.

Bye & tks for your kind attention.

Luca

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Luca,

I agree with Tom's suggestion. Different Office product serves different
goal, the Shape in Excel is used to show data but not as a key unit as in
the Visio.
Here is the reference of Shape Object [Excel 2003 VBA Language Reference]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vbaxl11/htm
l/xlobjShape1_HV05204994.asp

We will find that there is no event exposed for Shape Object and it did not
provide the DataBinding similar property.

For your concern, I suggest you try to use a Visio to see if that meets
your request.

Best regards,

Peter Huang

Microsoft Online Community Support