Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default easy (?) subtraction problem

Hi All,

Its the end of a long week here and my brain has already shut-down for the
weekend.

can someone tell me how i can subtract one year from a date. eg, if the
initial date is 19/09/2006 in cell A1 how do i calculate to get the result
of 19/09/2005 in cell B2? i need to do this for two sets of approx. 3000
dates.

i can't think what formula or vba i would use even though it seems soooo
simple! i can't simply subtract 365 days because some might be in a leap
year.

tia,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

DateSerial() is what i think you are looking for
--
"if you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. if you teach a man to
fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

"Tim Marsh" wrote:

Hi All,

Its the end of a long week here and my brain has already shut-down for the
weekend.

can someone tell me how i can subtract one year from a date. eg, if the
initial date is 19/09/2006 in cell A1 how do i calculate to get the result
of 19/09/2005 in cell B2? i need to do this for two sets of approx. 3000
dates.

i can't think what formula or vba i would use even though it seems soooo
simple! i can't simply subtract 365 days because some might be in a leap
year.

tia,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

NB:will return 01/03/2003 if A1=29/2/2004

HTH
--
AP

"Tim Marsh" <tmarsh-trousers-@-take off my trousers to
reply-blueyonder.co.uk a écrit dans le message de news:
Hi All,

Its the end of a long week here and my brain has already shut-down for the
weekend.

can someone tell me how i can subtract one year from a date. eg, if the
initial date is 19/09/2006 in cell A1 how do i calculate to get the result
of 19/09/2005 in cell B2? i need to do this for two sets of approx. 3000
dates.

i can't think what formula or vba i would use even though it seems soooo
simple! i can't simply subtract 365 days because some might be in a leap
year.

tia,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks for teh reply Mark. it was actually the cell formatting that was
throwing me off course. i got it to work with: -

ActiveCell.Value = DateSerial(Year(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)) - 1,
Month(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)), Day(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)))

but i still think there might be an easier way.... never mind - nearly
saturday!

Tim

"Tim Marsh" wrote:

Hi All,

Its the end of a long week here and my brain has already shut-down for
the
weekend.

can someone tell me how i can subtract one year from a date. eg, if the
initial date is 19/09/2006 in cell A1 how do i calculate to get the
result
of 19/09/2005 in cell B2? i need to do this for two sets of approx. 3000
dates.

i can't think what formula or vba i would use even though it seems soooo
simple! i can't simply subtract 365 days because some might be in a leap
year.

tia,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark....you got that saying all wrong! It goes like this:

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to
fish, you must also teach him to lie and drink beer."

Good times to all,
TomB.

"Tim Marsh" wrote:

Hi All,

Its the end of a long week here and my brain has already shut-down for the
weekend.

can someone tell me how i can subtract one year from a date. eg, if the
initial date is 19/09/2006 in cell A1 how do i calculate to get the result
of 19/09/2005 in cell B2? i need to do this for two sets of approx. 3000
dates.

i can't think what formula or vba i would use even though it seems soooo
simple! i can't simply subtract 365 days because some might be in a leap
year.

tia,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tim,

One way:

=DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

---
Regards,
Norman

"Tim Marsh" <tmarsh-trousers-@-take off my trousers to
reply-blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message
Hi All,

Its the end of a long week here and my brain has already shut-down for the
weekend.

can someone tell me how i can subtract one year from a date. eg, if the
initial date is 19/09/2006 in cell A1 how do i calculate to get the result
of 19/09/2005 in cell B2? i need to do this for two sets of approx. 3000
dates.

i can't think what formula or vba i would use even though it seems soooo
simple! i can't simply subtract 365 days because some might be in a leap
year.

tia,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming