Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SLO SLO is offline

Default How do I colour ill a cell in excel with a formula?

I am trying to figure out how to automatically colour a cell in excel if
my "IF" statement turns out to be negative. For example I have a list of
prices in excel, and if they are $50 higher or $50 lower than the
targeted price I need that to be flagged somehow in excel (preferably
by filling it in with a different colour). Currently I am going through
the prices manually and this just takes up too much time!! Help me!

--
SLO
SLO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35450

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use conditional formatting under the Formatting menu.

Assuming Col A is the Targeted price and Col B is the actual price, use
the following Conditional Format:

Choose "Formula is" option from dropdown

Enter this as the condition: =ABS($A1-$B1)50

Select the Format button and select the special format to apply (e.g.
Yellow fill).

-K

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, SLO.
Try using the "Conditional Formating" option in the Formating menu.
1. Select the columms where the negative values appear;
2. Go to Conditional Formating;
3. Choose the arguments for Cond.Formating the cells you chose.

..ulisses
www.linearsm.com.br

"SLO" escreveu:

I am trying to figure out how to automatically colour a cell in excel if
my "IF" statement turns out to be negative. For example I have a list of
prices in excel, and if they are $50 higher or $50 lower than the
targeted price I need that to be flagged somehow in excel (preferably
by filling it in with a different colour). Currently I am going through
the prices manually and this just takes up too much time!! Help me!

--
SLO
SLO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35450
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=552262

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanx Keena,

I tried this and its not doing anything. I used a target price of
$400.00 and an acutal price of $500 - and nothing happened - super
frustrating!

keeena wrote:
Use conditional formatting under the Formatting menu.

Assuming Col A is the Targeted price and Col B is the actual price,

use
the following Conditional Format:

Choose "Formula is" option from dropdown

Enter this as the condition: =ABS($A1-$B1)50

Select the Format button and select the special format to apply

(e.g.
Yellow fill).

-K

--
SLO
SLO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35450
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=552262

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Something is incorrect with how you are applying the conditional
formatting. Can you tell me more about the sheet layout? e.g. what
are the cells/columns/rows you want to compare? Is there a header,
etc... That way I can give more explicit instructions.