Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using COUNT value as variable

I have a few named ranges on various worksheets. I can use VBA to hop back
and forth between these sheets with no difficulty. Now, I need my program to
count the cells in a named range and then store that value as a variable.

Example:
I have a named range called "lists" in a single column on a worksheet. I
need to engage a For loop that uses the number of cells in "lists" as its
upper bound. i.e. say "lists" contains 92 cells I need a line of code that
counts the number of cells in "lists" (92) and then sets x = 92. The size of
"lists" is not static, thus i can't just use the number 92; I actually need
the value returned by the count function to be stored as x for later use in a
for loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Nate
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

x = Range("Lists").Rows.count

if this code is in a sheet module and Lists is on another sheet or Lists is
a sheet level name (than actually Sheet1!Lists as an example), it will need
to be qualified with the sheet name where it exits

x = Worksheets("sheet1").Range("Lists").Rows.count

Actually hopping back and forth is generally counter productive and almost
never necessary.

Tom Ogilvy

"Naterator" wrote:

I have a few named ranges on various worksheets. I can use VBA to hop back
and forth between these sheets with no difficulty. Now, I need my program to
count the cells in a named range and then store that value as a variable.

Example:
I have a named range called "lists" in a single column on a worksheet. I
need to engage a For loop that uses the number of cells in "lists" as its
upper bound. i.e. say "lists" contains 92 cells I need a line of code that
counts the number of cells in "lists" (92) and then sets x = 92. The size of
"lists" is not static, thus i can't just use the number 92; I actually need
the value returned by the count function to be stored as x for later use in a
for loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Thanks for giving me a hand. When i used that code I immediately got a
runtime error '424' : Object required. What's going on with that?

Thanks again,
Nate

"Naterator" wrote:

I have a few named ranges on various worksheets. I can use VBA to hop back
and forth between these sheets with no difficulty. Now, I need my program to
count the cells in a named range and then store that value as a variable.

Example:
I have a named range called "lists" in a single column on a worksheet. I
need to engage a For loop that uses the number of cells in "lists" as its
upper bound. i.e. say "lists" contains 92 cells I need a line of code that
counts the number of cells in "lists" (92) and then sets x = 92. The size of
"lists" is not static, thus i can't just use the number 92; I actually need
the value returned by the count function to be stored as x for later use in a
for loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did you dimension x?

Sub Foo()
Dim x as Range

Set x = Range("RangeNameHere")

With x
'Do stuff
end With

Set x = Nothing

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. I've declared x as an integer. I'm looking to use x as a variable, not
a range. I need x to be a number. I need to count the cells in the range
and that number needs to be x. Sorry i wasn't more specific

"Johnny" wrote:

Did you dimension x?

Sub Foo()
Dim x as Range

Set x = Range("RangeNameHere")

With x
'Do stuff
end With

Set x = Nothing

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a named range called "lists" in a single column on a worksheet.

Here is a demo from the immediate window:

Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B10:B200").name = "Lists"
? activeworkbook.names("Lists").RefersTo
=Sheet1!$B$10:$B$200
x = Range("Lists").Rows.Count
? x
191

Works fine for me. Perhaps you haven't communicated your situation
correctly.

Tom Ogilvy