Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robbie_lambert

Default Multiple Variable Count problem

Can anyone help.....

I'm constructing a spreadsheet, where several worksheets feed into one
sheet which sums figures up in separate categories. Imagine cells
containing

3
5
4
7
8
3
3
2
4
6
3

If I apply the COUNTIF function to this for the number 3, the answer
returned would be 4. Adding in two further columns:

3 A D
5 A C
4 D B
7 B D
8 C A
3 A A
3 B A
2 B B
4 C D
6 A B
3 C D

What formula should I type to count the number of times the highlighted
occurence happens? (i.e. count the number of times 3 appears in column
one, while A appears in column 2 and A appears in column 3, obviously
all in the same row).

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

--
Robbie_lambert
Robbie_lambert's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34160

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

You may use the following array formula:
=SUM((A1:A11=3)*(B1:B11="A")*(C1:C11="D"))
Enter it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
You may change the hardcoded 3, "A" and "D" with cell references, if needed.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.