Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Save button in VBE

Just curious here. I can't figure out what, if anything, the Save icon
in the VBE does. My experience is that to save a macro, I have to save
the worksheet it's with. Does anyone know what the "other" Save button
does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Agreeably it just saves the excel file. That being said since you should save
on a regular basis it is very convenient that you do not have to flip back to
Excel to do the save.

The other nice thing about it is that I have in the past created templates
which effectively locked the user out from being able to save the workbook
(including me). The easiest way to save my changes in such a book is to use
the save button in the VBE...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"davegb" wrote:

Just curious here. I can't figure out what, if anything, the Save icon
in the VBE does. My experience is that to save a macro, I have to save
the worksheet it's with. Does anyone know what the "other" Save button
does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually, I find that sometimes the button doesn't save anything. The file
time isn't updated and the caption switches for too short a time for
anything to have happened. So I often have a little procedure in the
workbook:

Sub SaveMe()
ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"davegb" wrote:

Just curious here. I can't figure out what, if anything, the Save icon
in the VBE does. My experience is that to save a macro, I have to save
the worksheet it's with. Does anyone know what the "other" Save button
does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've never had that problem... Perhaps my computer just likes me...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"davegb" wrote:

Just curious here. I can't figure out what, if anything, the Save icon
in the VBE does. My experience is that to save a macro, I have to save
the worksheet it's with. Does anyone know what the "other" Save button
does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've had experts tell me, Of course it works. But it doesn't always. For a
while I'd even customized the VBE so the save button didn't appear, and I
was forced to save through code.

- Jon
-------