Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default SQLOLEDB Timeouts; setting from Excel

I have a rather long list of ip addresses that are clients attached to my SQL
server. I am using excel to build a connection string and verify that the
address is a good connection. When the connect is good. The Select query
then runs and returns the info in a fraction of a second. The problem is
that the address that do not connect... take at least 30-45 seconds each
before an error message is generated.

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
cn.CommandTimeout = 1
cn.ConnectionTimeout = 1
... other connection property info ...
cn.open

I believe those commands are supposed to generate an error after 1 second
has passed if the connection has not been established. Well it still takes
30-45 seconds before the error is returned. With many addresses to test this
can take more than 30minutes to test the addresses.

What do I need to do to force the ipaddress to fail move quickly? (since
the problem I have to fix, is that the PC pointed to by the ipaddress, in
99.9% of the cases does not have the correct port opened up through its
firewall) I need a way to generate the spreadsheet more quickly to get to
the list of PC's that need this done.

John