Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default saving xla problem

Hi,

I'm doing the following, but my excel workbook does not save xla:

1] Open excel workbook
2] Tools-Add-In XLA (made sure that XLA was added and seen in VBA
editor left pane)
3] Save workbook and close
4] Re-open the saved workbook and XLA is gone.

XLA does not get saved with excel workbook this way.Is this a bug in
excel?

However if I refer to my XLA using Tools-References from VBA editor
and save workbook,
close it and re-open it then the XLA is saved properly.

I dont understand why the first method does not work. Any response is
appreciated.

Thanks,
- Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not following what you are doing, but perhaps consulting these
references will give you a clear path to achieve your objectives:

See Jan Karel Pieterse's tutorial at:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/DistributeMacro00.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=167909
XL: Securing Visual Basic Code in Microsoft Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=156942
XL97: How to Create an Add-in File in Microsoft Excel 97

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=211563
How to create an add-in file in Excel 2000

Tom Ogilvy

"ndalal" wrote:

Hi,

I'm doing the following, but my excel workbook does not save xla:

1] Open excel workbook
2] Tools-Add-In XLA (made sure that XLA was added and seen in VBA
editor left pane)
3] Save workbook and close
4] Re-open the saved workbook and XLA is gone.

XLA does not get saved with excel workbook this way.Is this a bug in
excel?

However if I refer to my XLA using Tools-References from VBA editor
and save workbook,
close it and re-open it then the XLA is saved properly.

I dont understand why the first method does not work. Any response is
appreciated.

Thanks,
- Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you setting the 'IsAddin' property of the workbook object to true?

I am thinking that this needs to be done and saved for Excel to register the
change from workbook to Add-In.

HTH

Paul Smith

"ndalal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm doing the following, but my excel workbook does not save xla:

1] Open excel workbook
2] Tools-Add-In XLA (made sure that XLA was added and seen in VBA
editor left pane)
3] Save workbook and close
4] Re-open the saved workbook and XLA is gone.

XLA does not get saved with excel workbook this way.Is this a bug in
excel?

However if I refer to my XLA using Tools-References from VBA editor
and save workbook,
close it and re-open it then the XLA is saved properly.

I dont understand why the first method does not work. Any response is
appreciated.

Thanks,
- Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did you save it in the Addin directory ?

Msgbox Application.TemplatesPath

At the same level of the Templates directory is the Addin directory.

Save your xla there.