Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with Saving

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you attempting to save to a CD drive, or a floppy drive, or what? Some
specific information regarding your error would enable you to get a
definitive answer, until then, who knows what the problem might be.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Please Help" wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kevin,

Thanks for your response. I didn't try to save it to a floppy or CD. I
tried to save it to C: and various network directories, and it would let me
save.

After I select Save As from File, name the file and click on Save, I got the
message that Excel can not save. I have tried many times, and it still would
let me save.

It seems to me that the problem is only on that file because I have no
problem saving other Excel file.

Thanks.

"Please Help" wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

When you pull an Excel file down off a network, there is a "little silver
thread" that links the file back to where it came from. If the connection to
the network is interrupted, even for an instant, the thread is broken and
Excel does not know it's way back home. Also, Save-As will not work. If the
file is open and of critical content, the only thing you can do is to copy
and paste sheets off into a new Excel file and then save that file. I used
to work in a small company where network interruptions were constant, and
this problem was commonplace. You can either copy the file to your C drive
and then open it from there and then save back to the network when finished
working.....or if you have to use the network file, just start saving after
every couple minutes and when you hit this problem again, just get out and
start over again......painful, but works.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Please Help" wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CLR,

Thank you very much for your solution. It sounds like it's not something
that we can do to prevent it from happening, except working in C:.

Thanks.

"Please Help" wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

You're welcome.........yeah, those are the only two things you can do as a
user......other than that, just complain to MIS and/or Management......it IS
a problem than can usually be fixed....sometimes it's just ignorance in
making patches in the MIS dept thinking the quick outage will not affect
anyone.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Please Help" wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to muddy the waters...

I've been disconnected from my network drive and the Save didn't work. But I
can't remember a time when the SaveAs failed. Well, as long as I was saving to
a drive that was still available.

"Please Help" wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Excel file that I can not save. I used Save and Save As. I also
tried to save it to different locations and different names, and it still
wouldn't let me save. It keeps saying that Excel can not save (I don't
remember the exact wording).

Does anyone know why? Please help.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

It was all one and the same for me Dave, every time for a couple of
years....if the SAVE failed, the SAVEAS also failed.............till MIS
finally got a stable network. Mine was using Excel 2000 at the time. on a
Windows 2000 machine.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3