Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Ed Ed is offline

Default Have 2000 and XP versions on same machine?

My dreaded IT upgrade is looming close to hand! They'll take my poor
machine away, wipe it, and install the new and "improved" image. It will
immediately take me into the XP versions of Windows, Word, and Excel. I'm
concerned about making macros for others who still have the 2000 versions of
Word and Excel. I know it's possible to have both versions on the same
machine, and I can probably twist an arm to get this done. Are there any
caveats or "gotchas" to be aware of during the installation so we wind up
with both versions of both programs running smoothly?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

Ed,
I have three MS Office suites installed...
'-------------------------------------------------
'Jim Cone December 2002, Modified June 11, 2003
'Note - These recommendations were written before XL2003 was released.
When installing / using multiple versions of MS suites or applications:

1. Install the oldest version first
2. Install each version in a separate folder.
3. If you want to keep your start menu shortcuts then rename them
before installing a newer version.
4. Do a custom install and do not overwrite/replace the older
versions. However...
5. Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a single
operating system.

6. You specify the default version of the application by
registering it using 'Start | Run'.
Enter the full file path and name of the program.
Note that /regserver is outside the quote marks...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver

The above registers Excel 97 as the default on most systems.
Change the file path / file name as appropriate.
If you don't register the application then the last version
installed becomes the default.

7. Do Not run multiple application versions at the same time.
Close one before opening the other.
8. MS knowledge base articles follow in no particular order:
292491 -
Office Automation When Multiple Versions of Office Are Installed
290576 -
OffXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
218861 -
Off2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
214388 -
XL2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Excel
292584 -
OffXP: Setup Overwrites Start Menu Items from Earlier Versions of office
210391 -
Off2000: Setup May Remove Older Components

(Just in case)
233499 -
How To Change the Company Name and User Name After Setup
290528 -
HowTo: Change the Company Name and User Name in an Office XP Program
280546:
User Name And Company Name In Splash Screen Different From Names In "About" Dialog Box
'-----------------
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Ed" wrote in message...
My dreaded IT upgrade is looming close to hand! They'll take my poor
machine away, wipe it, and install the new and "improved" image. It will
immediately take me into the XP versions of Windows, Word, and Excel. I'm
concerned about making macros for others who still have the 2000 versions of
Word and Excel. I know it's possible to have both versions on the same
machine, and I can probably twist an arm to get this done. Are there any
caveats or "gotchas" to be aware of during the installation so we wind up
with both versions of both programs running smoothly?
Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Ed Ed is offline

That's a lot of good info, Jim! Thank you!
Ed

"Ed" wrote in message...
My dreaded IT upgrade is looming close to hand! They'll take my poor
machine away, wipe it, and install the new image. It will
immediately take me into the XP versions of Windows, Word, and Excel. I'm
concerned about making macros for others who still have the 2000 versions

of
Word and Excel. I know it's possible to have both versions on the same
machine. Are there any