Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Machine With Two Versions of Excel Installed

I have a friend with a machine with two versions of office installed (2002
and 2003). How can I get Excel 2002 to be the default version when I double
click on an *.xls file?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think windows will use the last version of excel that was installed as the
default program associated with the extension.

But you can reregister excel so that an earlier version will be the default.

Close excel
windows start button|Run
"C:\yourpathtoexcel2002\excel.exe" /regserver

And then test it.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike,

You can do that through your windows settings
Goto StartSettingsControl PanelFolder Options click on the
File Types tab select the XLS file extension and at the bottom
of the dialog box you can change which program it opens
with there are also extra options on the advanced tab.

I haven't seen Excel override these settings although I know
Autocad will in certain circumstances. Having two versions
of Excel may confuse things, maybe not. A bit of trial and error
should sort things out.

HTH
Martin