Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gap Gap is offline

Default Sorting data with Named Ranges

Hi,

I have salary data in say 3 cells that I name them
(Insert-Name-Define) say CEO_Salary, VP_Salary and Manager_Salary.

Now when I sort this data the names point to different salaries. My CEO
is getting a Managers salary after the sort :-)

The names are pointing to different Ranges they were not originally set
for.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the names move along with the data just like
the cells formatting etc.

Is there a way to have the names keep pointing to the Data(Range) they
were originally meant for?

Thank You.
Gap.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When you sort, the names are not moved.

Guess you will need to put labels to the left or right and sort both
columns.

Tom Ogilvy

"Gap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have salary data in say 3 cells that I name them
(Insert-Name-Define) say CEO_Salary, VP_Salary and Manager_Salary.

Now when I sort this data the names point to different salaries. My CEO
is getting a Managers salary after the sort :-)

The names are pointing to different Ranges they were not originally set
for.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the names move along with the data just like
the cells formatting etc.

Is there a way to have the names keep pointing to the Data(Range) they
were originally meant for?

Thank You.
Gap.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gap Gap is offline

Thanks Tom,

I was just wondering if this is the right behavior in Excel. Names are
supposed to be attached to or propertyh of the Ranges both technically
speaking and in business sense.

Regards
Amitabh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your assuming the ranges/cells move. The formatting and value move, but I
am not sure you can say the cell moves. If you have a formula outside the
sorted range refering to a cell in the sorted range, the formula doesn't
change as a result of the sort.

Tom Ogilvy

oups.com...