Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Setting Max Value

I have a worksheet with a range of cells that have a SUMIF function
based on entry into another range of cells. How can I prevent user
entry that will cause these cells to exceed the value of 10?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming the sum is in C1, add data validation with a custom formula in the
cells, a formula of =$C$1<=10

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Amy Stein" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a worksheet with a range of cells that have a SUMIF function
based on entry into another range of cells. How can I prevent user
entry that will cause these cells to exceed the value of 10?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I tried...the SUMIF is the issue...the data entry is dependent
upon two different ranges so the validation isnt working. I was
thinking I needed to use VBA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ben ben is offline

Select you range of cells to protect
then in the Main Menu goto
DataValidation
on the settings tab
under the 'Allow' Drop box select whole number
then use 1 or 0 as a minumum and 10 as a maximum

--
When you lose your mind, you free your life.
Ever Notice how we use '' for comments in our posts even if they aren''t

"Amy Stein" wrote:

I have a worksheet with a range of cells that have a SUMIF function
based on entry into another range of cells. How can I prevent user
entry that will cause these cells to exceed the value of 10?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ben ben is offline

do you not want the range of cells with the formula to exceed 10?
if that is the case we will need some idea of what the data the user enters
to be added up in the SUMIF functions, that is the data you will have to
validate
Ben

--

"Amy Stein" wrote:

Yes, I tried...the SUMIF is the issue...the data entry is dependent
upon two different ranges so the validation isnt working. I was
thinking I needed to use VBA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why don't you share some specific information about the various ranges
involved instead of all these abstract statements. You'd be surprised at
how much can be done in XL w/o using VBA. Too many rely on the latter
prematurely.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions